Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Opinion: Where did all the guidance go?...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:58 am   #11
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: Opinion: Where did all the guidance go?..

You make some good observations, Greg, but I think you've developed a misconception on others. I'm sure most of the regular MM users do appreciate your opinions.

You are correct in many MM users guard their mushrooming spots; but, here are a multitude of reasons behind it. Season to season most edible mushroom species are generally unpredictable with regards to volume. Additionally, the active members of MM represent only a small percentage of those whom actively seek out edibles. If we openly posted specific areas it would be like saying, "I found a handful of $10 bills in the woods at the intersection of M-22 and Hart Rd. I'm going to check back in a couple of days to see if more pop." The point is in the value of the location. I'd just advertised a specific spot that produces and opened it up for further competition. When it comes to a limited resource it is competition. Same applies to a secret fishing spot. We guard the specifics of the spots. Is it selfish? Yes. Most everyone whom hunts, fishes, forages, and mushrooms has some sort of spots they will not disclose. It isn't intended to be rude nor exclusionary. It is simply protecting a personal resource.

Now, if you come to MM and ask questions to learn what to look for such as ground cover, types of trees, geography, and weather conditions and get (or have received) a cold shoulder, then yes, that is a problem. MM is definitely about learning and comradery. I've learned a TON on this site. This site, as any, also has the potential to be misleading. It is a conglomeration of human knowledge which can be both intentionally and unintentionally flawed. As a MM users/poster I come to the site knowing that I must also educate myself to know the difference between good and bad information. I study pictures here, read descriptions, cross reference my mushrooming books, and spend my time in the woods learning. I'm not a great mushroomer, frankly, but I'm pretty confident with what I know, thanks in part to MM. It can be a VERY frustrating process, especially when starting out. I, like you, have limited time and resources to hit the woods. So, I come here to learn what I can, study (not just read) mushrooming guides, books, and websites, and make the most of my limited time in the woods. As I said, it is a process. The day will come when I can spend hour upon hour in the woods and I'll be all the more ready.

Frankly, I don't have any issue with "lurkers." If they learn from what is posted here then the amateur mycology knowledge base grows. I'm confident many of those lurkers would also help the knowledge base grow for others if they just posted. I'd like to think they spend time learning about the fungus they are in search of, not simply looking for a good hunting spot - fact is that happens. There are some that come here simply to find out where to go, knowledge of the mushroom bedamned. It is terribly unfortunate but happens.

It is a good group of people here at MM. You bring up a good point and hope you stick around to see there is a great deal of knowledge here to be had.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:24 pm   #12
ding ding ding
Name: greg
Southern, Michigan USA
grand rapids

Everyone,
points are well taken and your feedback appreciated.
I did not intend to come across saying members should share their hunting areas location, but general information like a county or region. I totally understand the amount of effort that goes into finding spots. Nor, do I have any issues with a group of people who know each other PM or email each other with information they do not want out there. That is totally reasonable.
I feel that having a link on the site that is not available to everyone could potentially hurt the site overall as those who have access will be less inclined to share on the public forum links and that would be a huge loss to the hunting community as a whole who rely on what the experienced veterans are saying as RHall pointed out.
Where I became frustrated was in some of the threads people were chastised for given general areas. That and the impression that all who are not year rounderís were lurkers. So I do appreciate ShLUbY in defining that for me. He is also correct that no one is required to share. No one has to, itís just I have seen a decline in reported finds overall over the past couple years with a more aggressive/defensive posture in more than just a couple of posts.
The people whom I know that are members have said the same thing, I was just the one who put it out there. Agreed 22 posts does not look good on the surface, but I hunt with my brother the vast majority of the time and we take turns posting our trips. With that said, I would not consider myself the pot calling the kettle black.
Reading the posts in this thread has shed some light on other peoples perspectives and I appreciate the time spent taken to share your views.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:38 am   #13
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Well as far as giving out general areas,I no longer even give the county.On another site it was'nt good enough.My P/M box was blown up most everyday with "what part of the county","what township", "could yo be more specific"?Then I was the bad guy for not giving up answers to thier questions,so I shut off my P/M option and so have others or they no longer even post.

When it comes to a private section,I say so what!.I belong to several private invite only sportsmans sites that have the same thing.I can see where it might bother some due to the fact that they think it's where all the good stuff is and they are'nt privy to it so they think they are being side stepped or left out.Thats not the case.I believe that Frank explained that very well..
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:15 pm   #14
rlhall
Enhanced Membership
Name: Bob
Central, Michigan US
Rockford

Kuddos to Batchflock - he has the perspective - Justapicken on the other hand is just again contributing to the issue at hand. What less would you expect? Folks are here for help! Withdraw if you are not here to help. Sorry people irritate you with specific questions. You evidently have found the answer. Don't post. Don't participate! Pick 4000 morels and keep it to yourself vs post your finds and help the community. Prime candidate for the special invite only group. Wow that's a mystery and what I expect Ding was alluding to in his original post.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:42 am   #15
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan USA

Bob,If you look back at my history here over the last 11 years,you'll see that until the last couple years,I have been more than helpful to those that I thought I could help and to those that ask for help.Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not going to withdraw and I'm not going to get into a high school pissing match about the way I choose to participate.If you have anything else to say to me,do it through P/M's so we don't turd up the site with the sand lot drama....Have a good day and good luck picking..
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:25 pm   #16
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Gary is the man..... Not to mention our rain dancer. I learned a lot from him and others.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:38 am   #17
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Would "ding ding ding" AND "rlhall" both please PM me?

I have a question that needs to be answered by you both.

Thank you.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:08 pm   #18
rlhall
Enhanced Membership
Name: Bob
Central, Michigan US
Rockford

Frank,
Sent you a pm as requested. Will look for your response.

All, In the meantime to all who have participate or viewed these post the intent was never to initiate a debate with other members of opposing perspectives on a personal level. But I guess it's inevitable it will occur when passions run high to support ones point of view. In retrospect it appears that line had been crossed a couple times in this thread. If I've offended I extend my apologies.

On the flip side it has been clear in this exchange that some members do not participate in information sharing for a variety of reasons which goes back to the original observation - some veteran folks seem reluctant to share and the overvealous may be chastised when they do. The comments on this thread thread and the other on where did all the people go seems to support the observation.

Just throwing light on the obvious and stating an opinion and different perspective on how that possibly hurts the overall opportunity for success of the entire MM community. Last words because it appears to have run its course and Franks note does not sound like he is happy with how this thread has developed. Good mushroom hunting to everyone.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:21 pm   #19
ding ding ding
Name: greg
Southern, Michigan USA
grand rapids

Frank
PM'd you as requested.
Waiting to hear from you.
As Rhall stated, passions run deep and in the end we may have to agree to disagree.
There is no moral high ground on who shares what. It was only my observation on the quality of posts where people actually shared information.
From what I have seen in this thread, there is a mixture of some wanting to be helpful and some very protective of their hunting areas that have proved so successful that they will not even disclose any information. So be it! It's their choice. Again, it leads me to ask why they are criticizing others who are not quite so determined to protect general information. If anyone finds it upsets them that anyone would ask for more specific information, it is quite appropriate to say I said enough. It is not expected for anyone to disclose their honey holes. Maybe those folks are good candidates to withdraw from the public forums. Don't contribute, don;t participate.
I don't need this site to find mushrooms, period.
But, I look for clues to tell me when and how far I need to travel to find enough to enjoy with a meal. It is disturbing when such general information is asking too much. I am not looking for information to exploit anyone. And I suspect 85% of the members are not here to do so either.

There is a huge difference in saying weather conditions are great and expect a great flush north of the 45th in the next week than saying go to Chandler Hills and Slashing Rd. You will kill em. Cuz, if you think that is a secret spot, think again. But, if you have done your homework and scouted, that information is valuable in you going to your secret spot, even if it is miles away.
It appears that some members are not happy with thousands of morels, but are more concerned that others are stealing their mushrooms off of State/Federal ground.
Here is an observation;If a person picked 5,000 morels in a season they would need to consume 14 morels or about a 1/3 of a pound a day for the entire year. That equates to 100 morels a week. Are the folks picking 5,000+ a year consuming or selling? Though it is none of my business, I think it is a fair question. I sure see a lot of morels for sale signs in front of houses north of the 45th.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:56 am   #20
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Northern, Michigan USA

Ok,I got suckered in to answering your question on what one does with so many morels.Me personally,I give a large share of my bounty away most years to those that can no longer get out and hunt or are elderly or widowed that would'nt think of trying to wander the woods alone anymore even if capible of doing so.Also at gathings of friends at cook outs or what ever,I'll bring a large bowl of sauteed morels as my dish to pass and they are always welcome.When you have more than you need and use them as stated above,none go to waste and are not hoarded for selfish reasons.I've never sold a single morel and never will.If asked if I would sell some to an individual,I'll tell them no and GIVE them some.Ifd someone needs help on the ins and outs of hunting morels,I'll be more than glad to help them.The one thing I won't share is my hunting locations....period!!...have a nice day