Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion opinions on the morel
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:36 am   #1
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

opinions on the morel

I noticed this year there were few morels in my hot spots from Ohio to Michigan and in my spots that guarantee a few there were lots and I seen quite a few posts about morels out of place so to speak.Is it conditions or is it the movement of the root system any thoughts on this???
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:29 am   #2
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: opinions on the morel

From what I've been reading they were more widely spread this year. For most it was a great year, or so it seems.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:15 pm   #3
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

i didnt really notice anything different than the previous few years i've hunted... but i'm a tree hunter, rather than a wanderer, so i just hunt the trees in areas that the ground looks good! I will say this year i did notice that there were many in the farthest parts of the dripline of the trees....
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:43 pm   #4
jpmilo
Name: john
Southern, Michigan USA
Three Rivers

Timing is off for a lot of plants this year and you could include mushrooms?
Deep snow stayed so long and when it finally left it was catchup for a lot of a stuff.
Where deep snow was allowed to collect, there was virtually no frost under 2 feet of snow. We had a lot of deep moisture. Lots of mushrooms in many places.
Let`s do it again!!!!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:50 am   #5
bbrue
Northern, Ohio USA

Absolutely it was a great year for Grey's and blacks in my neck of the woods but the weather was to cool not really warm enough for the yellows when it did warm it was to late I think for them it went from big greys to big yellows although where I live there is no black ash tree never was so there has never been a big grey season and we hunt sandy ridges in woods around here we unfortunately do not have the terrain to produce like up north considering the area where I live was all black swamps 100 years ago we have a woods that most people from Michigan would consider a few tree's we consider big timber round here lol .I simply think that moisture in the ground is ample around here cause of the low laying land but if we don't have the warmth or its to warm our little blocks of woods are not insulating enough to with stand a few hot days or cold day without majorally messing up the morel fruiting
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:29 am   #6
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

One of my problems this year was it appeared a tornado had gone through one of my hotspots, as most of the trees in a small area were uprooted or broken off about 15 feet above the ground, in a swath about 1000 ft long and 300 ft wide. The area was impossible to walk through and what was once a nice patch of forest was now a wide open sunny area with few trees left standing.

Jeff O.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:35 am   #7
bbrue
Northern, Ohio USA

Last year was a bad year for wind where I live we had mass destruction of trees and acre upon acre of trees uprooted this may have disturbed our morel root system in some areas as well some of my better spots were totally demolished although I tried to cut as much as I could last winter there was just areas I could not get to to cut the trees up my next thought is does that deplete the morel growth in that area or does it evolve and branch off elsewhere????
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:27 pm   #8
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Look for more wind damage if you live in Southern Michigan. A nasty storm blew through around 12:30am on Tuesday and caused widespread damage. I was without power from shortly after the storm until around 9:20am yesterday.

My opinion for which morels taste the best:
Hands-down, the black morels have the best flavor.

Jeff O.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:54 am   #9
bbrue
Northern, Ohio USA

There is an old saying around my neck of the woods that says every seven years the morel moves not sure what exactly that means but my great grandma that passed away last winter at the age of 98 said every seven years the morel mushroom moves (I'm guessing the root system) but anyway the seventh year is when the morels produce the best now its no science but I know a lot of older people say the same thing and I have noticed seems to hold some truth I have picked morels in the same areas for decades and they are always in the same vicinity as the year before not the same spot but close and I have noticed that some years one spot blows up I mean from 30 morels the year before to triple in size the next year then the spots I happen to stumble upon that have a significant amount never seem to be as productive for years later .so has anyone found a patch that was a motherlode then went to the same location the next year and not found near as many as before maybe even for years not produced quite like it did that one spring I believe there is some truth to this maybe the morel needs to produce heavy numbers to relocate the root system to richer soil could be just a couple of feet away but I look at it like anything that grows say a house plant or crops in a field will grow good until the nutrients it needs to grow are used up hence the reason why farmers rotate crops or how you have to replace house plant soil every so often
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:44 pm   #10
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Interesting. As much as I've read what Paul stamens has written about mushrooms I believe anything is possible since Mycology is a young science. Just look at all his patents and his foresight on the possibilities in the future. Just think that no plants lack any connection to fungi and it us is virtually all soil. First on the planet eh?,