Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Where did everyone go....
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:16 am   #1
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Where did everyone go....

Have you noticed all the questions looking for help and now they're gone? I feel if it's your passion you should always be seeking information for your passion. I've hunted with and guided ( sone to hot spots) up to about 11 people this year... Some have had not so hood and others have found their best finds ever. I feel that is why it's imports to guard info. I love the time I've spent either hunting with or helping people expand their knowledge and passion. It should be shared with younger or less experienced people. They learn and I learn and I've built great relationships from fellow hunters here. It's what makes it fun. It dies get harder but I find many thousands. Time and expanding our passion is what I'm about. I don't give up honey holes unless I fully traits you. I've been burned inky once but have resolved these are my spots and your spots are yours. Exoerienced hunters know that where they are more than plentiful, but with dying ash we may facing change and I would rather learn more than pick 5-8000 by myself. I really love learning new environment and unexpected finds than picking good nonstop.... Unless they are in huge numbers where the magic 150 plus trees it's just covering ground once you know the general highly oviduct ice enviorments. Those are great but shrinking. Time to plan on what the future. May change. Most if my spots are highly hunted and now it's planning timing the competitor versus the area. What say you? Not bragging but this year with a sire knee I still netted about 4000. What's funny abd I may be spoiled but I was disappointed with the small sizes. Big size and high producing areas are my goal. I'm getting whooped chasing bug numvpbers especially with the amount if people in the woods and the fact that all my efforts to secure private land that only I gave permission to hunt have been trespassed on like it was state land. What say you? I busted buttt fir what I got but pounds should have been doubled along with numbers. It was a great year.

There used to be a year rounders club. I was not a member but know sone that were. I would like to suggest an invite only group that's oh have to be invited into, not to name spots but share more intimate info that all the lurkers are not allowed to see. I have contributed in the past a lot of money but would to see the site advance to where it was. Maybe a chat group to figure out hoe to help but keep important information private to those that are deemed trustworthy. I dunno what can anyone suggest?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:09 am   #2
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Re: Where did everyone go....

I'm new to the site Jon but maybe a chat drum to inform and PM's for the more unpublic info or strategies would be good I know you helped me determine when to head north this year thanks a bunch for that I would like to here how your hunting goes this year as I am a avid bowhunter and all around sportsman but morels are the only mushroom I know well enough to bring home to my family to enjoy
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:39 am   #3
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Jon thanks for everything this year. Any advice I can get from morel vets is much appreciated. I plan on scouting throughout the year and getting out for other shrooms as well this year. Let's keep in touch throughout the offseason, and if u ever wanna get out fishing hit me up. As far as another morel group goes, let me know if I'm invited.

Josh
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:57 pm   #4
Woodwrkr
Name: Jeff
Central, Michigan USA
Holly

Thanks for taking the time to go out with me Jon! Much appreciated, I too will be getting out and scouting for next year.

Jeff
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:55 pm   #5
bronco326
Name: Rex
Southern, Michigan USA
Lapeer

The liquor makes the words come faster and easier, but the typing is harder, isn't it Jon? <chuckle> Your posts always set a great example of how a mushroom hunter can help other pickers without divulging exact locations of honey holes. I've seen your recommendations cover best types of trees, best types of terrain, best regions of the state, etc. that give us less dedicated hunters a leg up heading out into the woods. Keep your opinion that your spots are yours, and my spots are mine. The beauty of not giving GPS coordinates for honey holes is that you force people to spend more time in the woods outdoors. Reward for the effort. I've been hunting morels over 35 years now, I've never talked to anyone honest who says morel hunting is easy. The people who were posting questions looking for help earlier in the year, but have since left the site, were looking for cheap quick shortcuts. Different type of picker. I don't recommend creating a "super-user" type chat group, I think Frank's setup of allowing private messages gives a channel for allowing user-to-user info sharing. We can tell who's serious pickers by watching member names year over year. Be polite with public responses visible to everyone, give more info to those we trust. Keep the site simple but let us users exchange more intimate knowledge with private messages.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:32 am   #6
Dogs4jen
Name: Jen
Northern, Michigan USA
Kingsley

Maybe they are out looking for pheasant back's and oyster mushrooms? :)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:41 am   #7
birrdybrad
Name: Brad
Central, Michigan usa
Lowell

IMO. There are those who enjoy Mushroom Hunting. And there are those who go out to scoop up as many as they can to sell. Also those who go and look for just enough to supply a meal for the family....

All in all. There are all Kinds of people here!

Those who just look for a quick fix on when and where to hunt, miss out on relationships.. We cannot control that. All's I know, is Iv'e met some pretty amazing folks on this board over the 10 years Iv'e been a member. And Iv'e also learned more about "The Others" through very experienced members here over the years.
Iv'e met with a lot of you time to time at dinners and picnics, and have had some really quality talks with Frank and Debbie.

People are people. Quirks and all. One thing I do know, is that people nowadays,
care a lot less about others. Their more concerned with themselves.... But we cannot control any of that.

Brad
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:53 am   #8
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Every response I have heard has a point although many people do get info to fatn there pockets some get it to increase there table fair in the short time morels fruit and some like myself spend countless time money and energy just doing what I love and set my family aside to do so then have to make up that time doing stuff with them I enjoy picking morels as much as I enjoy sharing my bounty with those who cannot get out wether its not feasible for them to do so or they have no where to go or they just are not comfortable with trying I will gladly give my last morel to a senior citizen and see the pure joy and appreciation in there eyes to me that's what makes me a better person and sportsman !!!! Enjoy the sport and excitement that you give to person by guiding them towards a mess of shrooms cause all of us were there at some point in our lives
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:48 pm   #9
birrdybrad
Name: Brad
Central, Michigan usa
Lowell

Amen Brother! It's a passion I cannot ever cure, nor do I want to. It's in my blood, and now it courses through the blood of my little ones. I spend WAY MORE money every year than the Morel is worth....
Its because I love the hunt. And the outdoors
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:53 pm   #10
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Good post Rex. I was just trying to figure out a faster way then pm's. I know a lot of people and maybe I'm just trying to find a shortcut to getting best and giving best info. All my spots are trampled and it may be more pm's than I'm used to or cell phone calls. I just find it funny how fast people leave when most homework is required before the season. I agree everything here is fine but wonder why if a lot of people are as crazy as the people I know ( about morels), why are they gone. People are people. I'll talk to you guys whose numbers I have soon.

Lmao @ Rex. I just reread my post. I'm soooo used to auto correct. Hahaha