Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Opinion: Where did all the guidance go?...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:32 am   #1
ding ding ding
Name: greg
Southern, Michigan USA
grand rapids

Opinion: Where did all the guidance go?...

I was excited the day I discovered Michigan Morel Web Site. A “Go To” site for everything related to Morels. The foundation set to function as a resource for everyone – beginner to seasoned veteran. It’s at this point "I sense" I am seeing the intent and application begin to somewhat part ways.

Every club, blog or forum that I have ever belonged supports mentoring, and strives to help everyone be successful. On MM I occasionally hear the term "Lurker". If I interpret this correctly a lurker is evidently a person who is simply on the site looking for information about when the morels are popping and areas of the state to hunt or what kind of terrain to look in. It appears some members take exception with General Information Sharing and are possibly more interested in keeping people away from the woods, rather than help the membership in general improve their finds. Is it because lurkers, in their view, lack commitment and dedication, and a year around mushroom hunting obsession. Is a lurker is bad person or just possibly someone on a fixed income who cannot afford to spend hundreds of $ on fuel and lodging. Or someone who has a job, family, elderly parents, kids/grand-kids in sports or provides community service. The type of people we all want living next door and would like to hunt morels and enjoy the experience but have limited time or resources to devote to the effort. Referring to these folks as Lurkers I think is a wee bit narrow minded and elitist.

I am willing to bet that the people who cannot dedicate 6-8 weeks of solely looking for morel mushrooms value their limited time out hunting with gathering a handful of fresh morels, possibly more than a person who hunts every day and finds a bazillion morels. (What does one do with a bazillion mushrooms anyway?)

Some members are promoting to keep information off the public forum, chastise when they see someone helping another that they are “sharing to much information”, and prescribe to only share knowledge of the season, conditions, where morels are flushing etc. between a select few friends, in private mail. Is this the foundation of the site?; if so, it’s no longer a forum, or a place to help “everyone” enjoy the experience of morel hunting. It becomes a club with “by invitation only” membership.

I watch the forums to help me decide where to go and when to spend the time and money to hunt morels. I guess I'm a Lurker. I work full time, have limited resources and driving 4 hrs simply feels better with anticipation for success because someone was kind enough to share an opinion. Over the years I have posted my finds, shared general information maybe a half dozen times – some people in return have been very helpful. However over the past couple years that helpfulness has started to pull back. Is it possible that people who would normally "share" don’t want to be called out or chastised. My last attempt to see if anything was going on late in the season North of Petoskey had 58 views and not one opinion from anyone let alone a seasoned vets opinion? All I was anticipating was some feedback based upon conditions and veteran experience if it was a reasonable gamble to take one last trip north. Not sure why no one had an opinion.

It would be disappointing to see MM become a inner circle (private messages) site and a place to gloat, rather than a resource to help everyone. Maybe there are to many people in the woods, trampling prime morel spots. At one point we all took our first steps in the woods to look for morels and usually did so by relying on the good folks on this site to get us headed in the right direction. Remember?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:05 pm   #2
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Re: Opinion: Where did all the guidance go?..

This is a great resource. Lurkers are people not willing to share info or help others except themselves. Too detailed of information should be in private messages like I do. Locations made public spread like wildfire and those that are commited to learning and having fun have an increase in competition. All my homework on " the woods" is going way downhill because everyone and they're brother is in the woods. In the future info may be contradicted because people may not find slot or any in the woods. I hear it from new people in the areS I hunt. They think they're not there but in reality there us a ton. Too many people in one area pick the land to death. It's not because they searched for the right woods. They went there from hearing on the internet. I've been told by people personally.
Discussion is great but locations that are being named lead the weekend wRriors right to where years if homework led me. It's not fun hunting a set of woods that look stampeded.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:22 pm   #3
mister_zee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Robert
Northern, Indiana USA

I'm sorry you have had a negative experience. I am sure no one has intentionally singled you out for no reply to your posts. I've had a few posts that garner no opinions or replies but I assume no one had anything useful to post.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:37 pm   #4
JonDaHighlander
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Like Robert said. Sorry no reply but like you said a lot of us are busy. I've been on sites where there are invited or paying members are allowed to view info not for the general public. The 58 views may be from non registered people who cannot post. I've seen a particular thread a couple years back with specific enough location that it had about 622 views and maybe 13 posts. If you really want info and Are serious try pm people more. It helps having info at your leisure when there is a time crunch. I've talked with mister zee in the past on info I was not willing to post due to the slight mention of it people would know exactly where to go. It was the fireburn. Not sure if you made it robert.
One thing to add it changes over time. A lot of valuable information was deleted in the past and our job is to help rebuild it. My only beef is for people to be willing to do homework on Locations. Terrain and conditions are more important by far. That is the crucial info that is here just hard to find. Use the search part like google here to try what ever pops in your head.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:23 pm   #5
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

I have no problem talking and sharing general information that i know such as habitat and time of year blah blah , but im certainly not going to lead ppl i dont know, let alone trust right to the morels or any other kind of shooms i hunt (Think of this like inviting a new person into a group of friends...). I define a lurker as a person who does not participate in the site. They do not chime into conversations, share info of their own, let alone take the time to thank Anyone for info being shared, or even say hi, and make the only single post in the welcome forum. They say very little, if anything at all. I like the community here and there are a lot of valuable people who share more than they need too more often than not. Trust me this is not a bragging site for the "inner" members, or youd be seeing morels up to your eyeballs in the pictures. If ppl want to keep info to themselves they earned the right to do that by doing their homework, they are not required to share.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:56 am   #6
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Oh my,where to start.First some of us have been here a long time and have seen the progression of internet forums in reguards to hunting mushrooms.There are those that have no intrest in trying to do thier own homework and would rather suck every bit of info from others than to do some research on thier own.Just look at how many folks register and never post,they lurk and never participate,just what kind of info are they seeking?Too many times an over zelest new hunter will post almost GPS co-ords on a spot and not only does it put people in thier spot but also puts those same people in a spot that others may hunt as well.this is one way that areas get over run.

We are not an elitist group here,never have been and never will be.As far as helping people,it's a good thing but I won't give someone a free ride.It's kinda like hunting,you need to scout,study maps,put some shoe leather to the ground and put the pieces of the puzzle together.I'm not going to get in a pissing match about any of this but when you've been here 5 years and have 22 posts,does'nt look like you have the level participation that you seem to think the rest of us should have....just saying....have a good day and good luck.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:44 pm   #7
rlhall
Enhanced Membership
Name: Bob
Central, Michigan US
Rockford

I'm assuming if anyone reading this they are far from just looking for morel spots.

Perception is Reality - I don't think it’s just a single instance of one post asking for some direction and not getting a single response, that led to dings commentary. I found the perspective rather enlightening. Some people are feeling like the forums may not be as helpful or open as they have been in the past. Take it for what it is worth rather than judge the perspective or the person.

Calling out a members number of posts should not be the qualifier of someone’s intent, dedication, or effort of looking for morels. Nor should it discount what they are experiencing as it relates to the MM forums. Could 22 posts in 5 years possibly be an indication of the fact he may have only been able to get out hunting morels 22 times in the past 5 years - and has offered his experiences each time? I'd call that being a pretty dedicated MM participant. 4 / 5 trips for me would be a good year hunting morels.

I would think that like any activity or organization you have those with experience, the veterans (10%) , those wanting to learn or needing assistance to keep moving forward (85%), and those that only take, the lurkers (5%). If the 10% only shares or communicates the seasons developments within the 10% group then it may give the appearance or the perception given as described.

No one is asking for anyone for hot spots. The entire MM community would benefit more from the experience if the veterans reached out to the general community vs. pull back just to keep sharing information from the 5% lurkers? Catch 22!

The thread raises some interesting points on both sides of the discussion.

This may be one way to look at it - Some folks evidently see participating in a public forum and obviously being an expert, or an experience veteran brings with it some responsibility to be a leader, a mentor, a person that brings the general community along.

If that's not happening what’s the opportunity to improve the experience.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:36 am   #8
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

My apologies for stepping on anyones toes and calling folks out.Calling it as I see it.I guess I'm a lurker also since I don't post much anywhere these days.....LOL
Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:54 pm   #9
rlhall
Enhanced Membership
Name: Bob
Central, Michigan US
Rockford

No need for apologies. Just don't think the number of posts should be used to determine ones intent or dedication.

I see you all are very active and help folks on a select basis. Jon was even suggesting taking that to another level with a "year rounders club" that would be by invitation only. A group using a different communication vehicle to better shield more intimate shared information from the lurkers. My belief Is the lurkers are really probably a very small % of the MM membership. For that, everyone is denied the opportunity of your experience and expertise.

I am an avid outdoors man. 50 years of bow hunting, fishing, skiing, golf, hiking, etc. But only ten years of morel hunting, on my and my brothers own learning cycle, no help from anyone with experience. Can't tell you how excited I was to find my first morel hotspot by scouting, mapping, preseason trips - only to find my new found hotspot was Chandler Hills and known by everyone -except me.

I thought that MM would be a place to help me learn and it has with general information but nothing takes the place of experience. If all you experienced guys pull out and pull back what's left?

I'd participate in a year rounders club. What do you think the price of admission would be?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:21 pm   #10
JonDaHighlander
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

I'm just trying to figure out a faster communication network for the more serious people that know how to be quiet about details. Good points both Gary and rhall