Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Dehydrated mushrooms?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:02 pm   #1
Lyle
Enhanced Membership
Name: Lyle
Central, Michigan usa
Lansing
Join Date: Mar 1, 2004
Posts: 70

 
Lyle's Avatar
Dehydrated mushrooms?

Found a paper bag of oyster mushrooms (store bought) hiding in the back of the fridge. They looked pretty dessicated. I'm saying they're dehydrated and would be perfectly safe to use if rehydrated. My wife is skeptical. Opinions (informed by experience or otherwise)?

Lyle
Lyle is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:18 am   #2
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.
Join Date: Feb 7, 2003
Posts: 8,245

 
Frank's Avatar
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

I would be skeptical myself too, Lyle.
I'll have to side with your wife on this one. After all she has kept you alive this long, and probably has some obscure reason for her effort, on that task. Wives are like that. LOL

Not truly dehydrated, as there is moisture in fridge and no air flow much. That's why some stuff molds and grows other nasty things, rather than just drying out perfectly. LOL

It's also why we dry with heat and air flow, or even just air flow without heat.

Plus, they were store bought, and you have no idea how old, how they were handled or stored, before you bought them.

When in doubt..... (you know the rest).

I'd rather be safe for sure, than sorry after the fact.

Here is good mushroom story with a moral (not morel).

"I've been married three times. My first husband died from eating poison mushrooms."
Oh, how sad. What happened to your 2nd husband?

"Well, he died from eating poison mushrooms too."
OMG! How tragic for you!

Did your 3rd husband die from poison mushrooms too?
"Nope. He died of a broken neck."
.
.
.
.
.
.
"He wouldn't eat his mushrooms!"


__________________

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Frank is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:37 pm   #3
Lyle
Enhanced Membership
Name: Lyle
Central, Michigan usa
Lansing
Join Date: Mar 1, 2004
Posts: 70

 
Lyle's Avatar
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

Thanks, Frank. I shall bow to your greater wisdom. And humor.
Lyle is offline  
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:39 pm   #4
srashley
Enhanced Membership
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta
Join Date: Apr 26, 2004
Posts: 284

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

As far as the mold an such, that's another issue. But I would be TOTALLY FINE with mushrooms dehydrated in the fridge because... that is my FAVORITE way to dehydrate morels! All the new fridges are frost free and suck the moisture right out of them. I put my morels in a plastic strawberry box with all the holes in it to circulate air. If I get hungry, I eat em. Otherwise I just leave 'em in there and later put them in jars or bags. I have also often done it with paper sacks as well. I've rehydrated them and never had trouble. They are just dehydrated mushrooms.
srashley is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:30 pm   #5
hrafnbruder
Full Member
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA
Dowagiac
Join Date: Jan 26, 2015
Posts: 4

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

I do the same thing, primarily when I only find a few...and I have done it with oysters as well, they turned out just fine!
hrafnbruder is offline  
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:38 am   #6
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.
Join Date: Feb 7, 2003
Posts: 8,245

 
Frank's Avatar
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

Hmmmm..... Have to revise my thinking, I'm thinking. LOL

All I know is that when I leave stuff in fridge too long, it's usually nasty and on it's way to the trash bin.

I've stored morels a few days in paper bags in fridge before dehydrating, but never from start to finish. Learn something new every day.
__________________

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Frank is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:35 pm   #7
Jovich
Full Member
Name: Joe
Southern, Michigan USA
Join Date: Mar 18, 2010
Posts: 53

 
Jovich's Avatar
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

Hey gang...late to this thread, obviously, but have been busy all winter with other things and am just now trying to catch up.

I have to side with Frank on this, even though I have no doubt that "fridge dehydrating" can and is done safely by many people. The operant word here is "doubt". You guys who have dried yours in the fridge with no problems are not operating under that doubt because you have been doing it successfully already and *know* that your fridges don't contain any bacteria that is harmful to your shrooms. But fridges are like fingerprints, and while yours don't contain harmful bacteria others (plenty of others) do.

For that reason alone, I would say that it is not worth the risk to anyone who is harboring doubt. It is just a few mushrooms, after all. It isn't worth getting sick over. On the other hand, if you know that your fridge is kept very clean, and there is no detectable (visual, textural, or odiferous) indication that there is anything wrong with the yummies, and you are the daring sort, this might be your golden opportunity to see if your fridge is one which will work well for "fridge dehydrating" and you may want to test a couple of them out. There really isn't any other way to find out. But that is not something I personally feel good about recommending to anyone, because sure as heck as soon as I do they will try it and end up in the ER.
Jovich is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:55 pm   #8
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon
Join Date: Sep 7, 2007
Posts: 3,319

 
Bachflock's Avatar
Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

I'm going with Scott on this one. It can be a gamble but refrigerators do a great job of pulling moisture of things. The paper bag would slow down the process a bit raising the concern a bit but chances of spoilage under those circumstances is also reduced. If they smell good, they probably are good. Most fungi make it pretty obvious went it goes bad.

All a matter of opinion. Frankly, I'd be more worried about them having picked up off flavors from the fridge, not spoilage.
__________________

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Bachflock is offline  
    Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trees with Mushrooms Growing On Them Warning Jochs Open Discussion 2 Jul 17, 2014 4:11 pm
Peterson Field Guides' - Mushrooms Bachflock Field guides & book reviews 0 Jun 8, 2009 6:28 pm

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 2:15 pm.


Michigan Morels.com  - Copyright ©1996 - 2018
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.