Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Dehydrated mushrooms?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:02 pm   #1
Lyle
Enhanced Membership
Name: Lyle
Central, Michigan usa
Lansing

Dehydrated mushrooms?

Found a paper bag of oyster mushrooms (store bought) hiding in the back of the fridge. They looked pretty dessicated. I'm saying they're dehydrated and would be perfectly safe to use if rehydrated. My wife is skeptical. Opinions (informed by experience or otherwise)?

Lyle
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:18 am   #2
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: Dehydrated mushrooms?

I would be skeptical myself too, Lyle.
I'll have to side with your wife on this one. After all she has kept you alive this long, and probably has some obscure reason for her effort, on that task. Wives are like that. LOL

Not truly dehydrated, as there is moisture in fridge and no air flow much. That's why some stuff molds and grows other nasty things, rather than just drying out perfectly. LOL

It's also why we dry with heat and air flow, or even just air flow without heat.

Plus, they were store bought, and you have no idea how old, how they were handled or stored, before you bought them.

When in doubt..... (you know the rest).

I'd rather be safe for sure, than sorry after the fact.

Here is good mushroom story with a moral (not morel).

"I've been married three times. My first husband died from eating poison mushrooms."
Oh, how sad. What happened to your 2nd husband?

"Well, he died from eating poison mushrooms too."
OMG! How tragic for you!

Did your 3rd husband die from poison mushrooms too?
"Nope. He died of a broken neck."
"He wouldn't eat his mushrooms!"

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:37 pm   #3
Lyle
Enhanced Membership
Name: Lyle
Central, Michigan usa
Lansing

Thanks, Frank. I shall bow to your greater wisdom. And humor.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:39 pm   #4
srashley
Enhanced Membership
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

As far as the mold an such, that's another issue. But I would be TOTALLY FINE with mushrooms dehydrated in the fridge because... that is my FAVORITE way to dehydrate morels! All the new fridges are frost free and suck the moisture right out of them. I put my morels in a plastic strawberry box with all the holes in it to circulate air. If I get hungry, I eat em. Otherwise I just leave 'em in there and later put them in jars or bags. I have also often done it with paper sacks as well. I've rehydrated them and never had trouble. They are just dehydrated mushrooms.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:30 pm   #5
hrafnbruder
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA
Dowagiac

I do the same thing, primarily when I only find a few...and I have done it with oysters as well, they turned out just fine!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:38 am   #6
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Hmmmm..... Have to revise my thinking, I'm thinking. LOL

All I know is that when I leave stuff in fridge too long, it's usually nasty and on it's way to the trash bin.

I've stored morels a few days in paper bags in fridge before dehydrating, but never from start to finish. Learn something new every day.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:35 pm   #7
Jovich
Name: Joe
Southern, Michigan USA

Hey gang...late to this thread, obviously, but have been busy all winter with other things and am just now trying to catch up.

I have to side with Frank on this, even though I have no doubt that "fridge dehydrating" can and is done safely by many people. The operant word here is "doubt". You guys who have dried yours in the fridge with no problems are not operating under that doubt because you have been doing it successfully already and *know* that your fridges don't contain any bacteria that is harmful to your shrooms. But fridges are like fingerprints, and while yours don't contain harmful bacteria others (plenty of others) do.

For that reason alone, I would say that it is not worth the risk to anyone who is harboring doubt. It is just a few mushrooms, after all. It isn't worth getting sick over. On the other hand, if you know that your fridge is kept very clean, and there is no detectable (visual, textural, or odiferous) indication that there is anything wrong with the yummies, and you are the daring sort, this might be your golden opportunity to see if your fridge is one which will work well for "fridge dehydrating" and you may want to test a couple of them out. There really isn't any other way to find out. But that is not something I personally feel good about recommending to anyone, because sure as heck as soon as I do they will try it and end up in the ER.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:55 pm   #8
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

I'm going with Scott on this one. It can be a gamble but refrigerators do a great job of pulling moisture of things. The paper bag would slow down the process a bit raising the concern a bit but chances of spoilage under those circumstances is also reduced. If they smell good, they probably are good. Most fungi make it pretty obvious went it goes bad.

All a matter of opinion. Frankly, I'd be more worried about them having picked up off flavors from the fridge, not spoilage.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.