Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Help with possible ramp identification
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:47 am   #1
howells
Enhanced Membership
Name: Amanda
Southern, Ohio USA

Icon15 Help with possible ramp identification

We found 'em yesterday in southeast ohio. The dark green leaves tasted like a very strong mix of onions and corn, yes definitely corn, in the summer! The white part tasted like onions. I don't remember any red on them, I may have to go back & look again though, but the taste was unlike anything I've ever had.....onions & corn mixed.....unreal.
I looked at all the identification sites and pics here, still just not sure. What do you think?

Thanks everyone!
Amanda
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:56 am   #2
howells
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Ohio USA

Another photo closer up: (couldn't make the photo any bigger, having trouble resizing to be allowed)
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:42 pm   #3
shroom vaccuum
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sue
Northern, Michigan usa
rc

Looks like Ramps. Pull one up and smell. You'll know!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 4:30 pm   #4
Paullee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Paul
Central, Michigan USA

No red/blush on stem? Sniff them like SV suggested. I'd like to see a closer pic to be sure but...Looks like you found a great big bunch of Ramps to me!!Very cool Amanda! How large were the bulbs? They should be perfect size for picking now.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 9:15 pm   #5
shroom vaccuum
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sue
Northern, Michigan usa
rc

In'the patches that I pick, some have a red blush, some don't, growing together. It's that strong garlic/onion fragrance that is proof for me. both colors are good. One or the other tends to be a bit stronger. I can't remember which.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 3:06 am   #6
Paullee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Paul
Central, Michigan USA

Just a follow up Amanda, I was taught only to pick the stinkie ones With the red stems. Never knew the reason for that but Miker pointed out in another post that Lilly-of-valleys are a look alike green (which are poisonous). So I still only pick the ones with a strong onion scent and red/blush on stem. Did you go back and check? Paullee
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:53 am   #7
howells
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Ohio USA

We haven't been back yet, hopefully today.....I do remember the very, very strong onion and corn taste though!
I'm very curious to find out now. Thanks for your help everyone! I'm hoping they're ramps because I want to cook with them!

Amanda
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:24 am   #8
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Yep you can eat them raw. Just peel the outer layer off. Frank recommends waiting awhile before drinking pop after eating them though. He ate about 3 or 4 right in a row, then when done took a big swig of his diet coke. Then he started yelling and howling, tears etc. Was quite spectacular to see! He said was just a tad, wee bit, hot! lmao

Debbie

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old May 23, 2007, 2:33 am   #9
howells
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Ohio USA

Thanks everyone! They were ramps with pretty small bulbs, like a medium sized green onion, and I appreciate the advice from you all so I could make sure. I got to enjoy some ramps this spring for my 1st time and I wasn't even looking for them.
Oh my, I will remember about the pop too!! That would burn!

Amanda