Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Found on dead birch trees, what are they?
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old May 9, 2010, 8:02 pm   #1
MariosMushroom
Name: Aysad
Central, Michigan USA
Holland

Found on dead birch trees, what are they?

Hello, i am interested in learning what these are, any help appreciated, i found all of them on dead birch trees and they have soft gills along with a smell that's slightly like anise.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2276.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	6795

Name:	HPIM2277.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	6796

Name:	HPIM2278.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	6797

Name:	HPIM2279.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	6798

Name:	HPIM2280.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	6799
Old May 9, 2010, 8:47 pm   #2
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: Found on dead birch trees, what are they?

Oyster mushrooms - very tasty. Congrats!

Here's a link - study them out and build on that knowledge. Well done...

Pleurotus ostreatus - the Oyster Mushroom

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old May 9, 2010, 9:22 pm   #3
MariosMushroom
Central, Michigan USA
Holland

Yeah Bachflock thanks, i was just going to write update about it, i chewed a small piece it's not bitter, very tender, juicy (for a mushroom) and had a few little black bugs (apparently these lil fellas likes this mushroom too, thankfully each of them had a few bugs but that's it). I was almost sure they are oyster now you confirmed they are, i am positive.

AND... HAPPY!

This is my first edible mushroom collecting ever.

Thanks for answer.
Old May 10, 2010, 8:56 am   #4
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

No problem Aysad. Those black beetles really seem to like those particular mushroom. You'll find them hanging around OFTEN.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old May 10, 2010, 4:23 pm   #5
MariosMushroom
Central, Michigan USA
Holland

lol Actually, i had to get rid of about 60% of them, those bugs are apparently leaving their larvae on those mushrooms too, when i removed stalk i realized especially bigger ones were full of those larvae. Still, it was enough. From now on i will remove the stalk before bringing them to home...
Old May 24, 2010, 3:20 am   #6
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

That happens all too often with the oyster Mushrooms Asyad. In fact i would say it happens more often than not. you've got to get them almost as soon as they sprout to beat the bugs to 'em.

But don't let that deter you. It just means that from now on, you will look for either the beetles, or even smaller, the larvae looking like black dots in the gills, before picking a lot of them.

Remember that if you pick one with bugs and put them in a bag with bug free ones, you will lose some of your bug free ones before you get home.

Fun isn't?

Chantalle's are another tasty and fun mushroom to beat the bugs to. With them you look for very tiny holes in the stems. Holes equals many tiny worms inside. Those too, you have to get very soon after sprouting.

If you're really tuff, you just say; "hey, protein is protein", and then we'll put you on TV with the guy who eats anything in all different countries. LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old May 24, 2010, 10:24 am   #7
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Frank makes a good point. Bugs are just a part of the process. Sure, leave the ones behind that area really buggy but over time you'll learn what can be salvaged and you'll even find some that are apparently bug free. I spent a lot of time last year trimming up my oysters - otherwise I'd ended up with about 25% of what I picked. They still end up nice.

vjs