Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Clitocybe nuda - Blewits? Miker help?!
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 pm   #1
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Clitocybe nuda - Blewits? Miker help?!

Alrighty folks... blewits have been on of those that just escape me. I think I find a blewit, bring it home, and the physical characteristics are close but the spore prints turn out white or brown/rust. I've found purple Cortinarius species all over the woods where I found these. These had no signs or reminents of a cortina that I could see. They have a slighty under-rolled margin on the cap. They did not stain. Gills have a purplish-blueish hue to them while the cap had some blueish purple but a lighter tan was also there. As you can see in the photo the stems were bulbous on these. The corts I was finding didn't share that characteristic but last year I was certain I had a blewit (based upon the stem) and it dropped rust spores. I've got these two down for a spore print but maybe there is just something I'm missing and keep confusing these for blewits. Miker and anyone else - what's the key that I'm missing?
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blewit I hope 2.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	6965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blewit I hope 5.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	6966  

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:17 pm   #2
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Clitocybe nuda - Blewits? Miker help?!

Vance, those are blewits, the purplish corts, will have remnants of a ragged veil hanging loose from the margin of the cap. congrats, good eating there, benn finding them for a couple of weeks now, look for oaks and pines mixed, especially white pine,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:27 pm   #3
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Really?! (jumps out of chair in excitement) LOL Well, I'll see what the spore print looks like also. You ever have white spore drop out of blewit? Last time I thought I had some they dropped white, no pinkish tint. Thanks for the input. I did pull a couple of corts and it was pretty clear - the remnants. Thanks Mike.

PS - exactly were I found them... pine/oak mix. I'll have to head back out there... probably enough to fill a basket. I passed over a lot after collecting these two. They were about 30 ft from my bear tooth and 50 yards from my hen. Mother load! LOL

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:25 am   #4
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Looks like Blewits to me also.They are starting to pop on the property here.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:18 am   #5
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Raining to beat the band here this morning. TOMORROW I'm out to pick a bunch more... at least they won't dry up and hopefully wet enough to keep potential hen hunters out of the woods.

Should have also said - the spore print looked light tan. Not brown or rust, not even close. When I think pink I guess I think the classic pink.

vjs
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:05 pm   #6
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

Vance light tan is considered buff, which is a coloration of the blewit spore, when you are spore printing, allow the shroom to sit overnight on your printing medium, alot of shrooms drop spores that in a thin layer will give a fake color reading, but to get the maximum reading, overnight works best, I'll get back on spore print reading later for all to read,mike

Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:10 pm   #7
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

Vance also look for where the pine duff and oak leaves accumulate together from wind blow, alot of times they will be growing under this mixture and never break the surface of the pile, so carefully remove the pile with your hands and look for them, but put the pile back, to rip it off and throw it around is badgering, which as a resposible shroomer won't do,mike

Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:22 pm   #8
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Thanks for the tips Mike. I did an overnighter print and it was a good one. Buff... yeah, that's what it'd be. I'm headed out in the morning weather providing to check for more and see how much the hen sprouted.

vjs