Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Can someone please help identify
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:47 pm   #1
acousticlemur
Name: Josh
Southern, Michigan USA
Stockbridge

Can someone please help identify

Huge clusters of yellow caps with attached gills
on dead tree. Having issues uploading pictures due to file size so I uploaded to Google drive, hopefully they will link properly. I found them at an apartment complex I mow the lawn at weekly, if edible I want to take a bunch with me. I could not identify them with my Audubon field guide :(

Photo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQZ...w?usp=drivesdk

Video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rkk...w?usp=drivesdk
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:31 am   #2
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Re: Can someone please help identify

Golden Oysters

Just in case you are new to mushroom hunting I'd like to advise you and others who may read this post that relying on photo ID off the internet is not always a good idea. Please do a search on the species and come to your own conclusion.

Learn how to get a spore print. There is a lot of information online. Check multiple sources before eating.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:25 am   #3
acousticlemur
Southern, Michigan USA
Stockbridge

.:
Originally Posted by celticcurl View Post
Golden Oysters

Just in case you are new to mushroom hunting I'd like to advise you and others who may read this post that relying on photo ID off the internet is not always a good idea. Please do a search on the species and come to your own conclusion.

Learn how to get a spore print. There is a lot of information online. Check multiple sources before eating.
It's odd to me that I can't find them in my Audubon field guide. There's regular oysters in there but no yellow or golden except the jack o lantern. I'll have to check my other books. Thanks a lot for the help. I don't think I've ever not been able to identify a mushroom with this book.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:01 am   #4
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I may be wrong and perhaps Mushroom Jack can weigh in on this topic but I think they are an escaped cultivated variety that originated in more tropical areas. There is plenty of info online about them. They tend to fruit in warmer conditions.

I know you can order blocks from Fungiperfecti if you want to grow your own. I don't find them to be anything special and the scent is a bit off putting to me. BUT they sure are pretty!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:04 am   #5
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Check the date on your field guide. I think it was written in the 80's. I know the author wanted to do an updated version but the publisher said no and now he is dead. RIP Gary Lincoff!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:05 pm   #6
acousticlemur
Southern, Michigan USA
Stockbridge

Just looked. You are correct copyright is 1981
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:07 pm   #7
acousticlemur
Southern, Michigan USA
Stockbridge

I went back to get them yesterday after work and the tree they were on was cut down cause they are widening the drainage ditch it was next to. The mushrooms were really dried up and no good. I figured I would miss out on them due to the short life cycle but I'm still bummed. They didnt have an off putting odor at all. They just smelled like a delicious wild mushroom to me.