Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Do they seem to be late this year?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 13, 2008, 9:22 am   #1
PamnRand
Enhanced Membership
Name: Pamela
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson

Do they seem to be late this year?

We have hit our spots were we have found greys, blacks and yellows with nothing. I see alot of posts where there are finds in Wastenaw and Jackson counties and state lands. Could they just be coming in late? We have checked theses areas for the past few weeks and nothing. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?
Old May 13, 2008, 11:10 am   #2
Guido
Enhanced Membership
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

My suggestion is to keep trying, but widen you search area. I think they are a little later than normal this year, but they are out now. Most of my finds so far this year have been in the same general vicinity, but not the exact same places as in prior years.

Good Luck,

Guido

Just a few...

Guido
Old May 13, 2008, 11:19 am   #3
PamnRand
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson

Thanks Guido! I'm glad to hear that they may be late. I can't believe that in all of our spots theres nothing. At least we're not finding stems, that would be really bad. Good Luck!
Old May 13, 2008, 3:35 pm   #4
moreladdict
Enhanced Membership
Name: Nancy
Southern, Michigan USA

Hi PamnRand,

You seem to be in my backyard there at MIS! lol

The only finds I had on state land were small and fresh whites/yellows. I almost stepped on them!

I did find one on my property on Sunday, under an old apple. Never found any here before.

Went Monday and checked some state land in the AM, but nada. There were A TON of indications that others were there before me after the rain on Sunday. I've gotten pretty good at tracking, but it really easy to see right after a rain.

They do seem to be late this year, and it seems that there is a lot more traffic on some of the state land than I usually see. Hold in there! the warm temps today should get them going!

Nancy
Old May 13, 2008, 3:43 pm   #5
PamnRand
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson

Thanx Nancy! Yea MIS is about 10 miles We're in Napoleon. Going to take a quick look in our usual spots this afternoon and maybe expand on the areas in Norvell were we've found before. I swear the little buggers packed their little seed bags and moved away. But we'll find them...do or die...
Old May 13, 2008, 8:20 pm   #6
PamnRand
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson

we went out again today, three flippin hours, from jackson county to washtenaw, not a damn thing, i dont remember getting skunked for two days let alone two weeks. this is nuts. is Frank paying some of you to post some finds. Frank you better knock that off.

randy
Old May 13, 2008, 11:59 pm   #7
whiteoakart
Name:

We have been finding them in areas that were flooded out by high water this Spring. Almost nothing in our usual places.

manchester, mi
Old May 14, 2008, 1:41 am   #8
hunt2live
Name: Willie
Southern, Michigan USA
Ypsilanti

Today I found about 25 in Washtenaw County. The most I found in one spot was two. It took three hours of solid walking with my head to the ground to find all of them and they were all fresh. Had to come in when I got whipped by a branch across my eye. I might have to start wearing safety goggles. The mushrooms will be popping bigtime soon. I think it's going to be a very good season....I hope!!
Old May 14, 2008, 3:35 pm   #9
madnickwill
Name: Monica
Northern, Michigan USA
Petoskey

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having bad luck. I'm in Northern Lower Mich and my husband and I went out yesterday and found a ton. We started a few weeks ago and found a few here and there but yesterday was the best. Like we all say - "Hang in there".
Old May 14, 2008, 5:15 pm   #10
mch1mzs
Name: Mike
Central, Michigan USA
Mason

I agree with the other posts. I am not finding them in my hot spots. I have been finding new areas (not by choice). Also, very few black this year. So far all whites except for four blacks found yesterday.