Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Shagy Parosol
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:32 pm   #1
stilllookin
Name: Steve
Southern, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

Shagy Parosol

Found a lot of these last year. Are they shaggy's?
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:33 pm   #2
stilllookin
Southern, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

Button
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2004, 2:33 pm   #3
stilllookin
Southern, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

Cut stem
Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2004, 4:03 pm   #4
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

SL, sporeprint it, should be white, was the stalk white prior to pulling it from the ground? miker

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:15 pm   #5
stilllookin
Southern, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

Last year when I printed it, it came out white. Don't remember if the stalk was white originally, but the books I have say the stalk will darken as it ages. The button stalk is white so I would bet that it was. The key feature the audobon says is the saffron color when cut. The green spore doesn't have this and the spores are light green. Just trying to get a positive id so when they come up I can get them before they go bad. Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:06 pm   #6
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

SL, not using a book at this time,but believe it to be the shaggy, don't chance it off of memory, the sporeprint will tell, the cut color is correct for the specie. miker

Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:09 pm   #7
stilllookin
Southern, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

Thanks miker. Spore print was white last year for sure. In the green spore, what have you found the color to be? Very green or almost white where it would be hard to tell them apart? I can add this and the black trumpet to my list of edibles found!!!! Now if I could only find the king. Have any pointers for someone in your neck of the woods? Thanks again
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:13 pm   #8
miker
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

SL, don't rely off of a memory print, sporeprint the thing, all things match up. make positive I.D, miker

Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:13 pm   #9
Happy Trails
Enhanced Membership
Name: George
Southern, Michigan USA

stillookin,

I know the Audubon leads one to believe that the green spored lepiota doesn't turn a bright saffron when cut: DON"T BELIEVE THAT. Other field guides state they can turn a bright orangish color when cut and from personal experience I can tell you they do. This is one example of where it pays to study and refer to several field guides when attempting a ID. The gills of the green spored can be completely white when absolutely fresh, but the sporeprint will be a ghastly green. Actually, the gills of the example posted is coming across my monitor with a greenish cast. While I don't believe your example is a green spored, the simple test of a sporeprint is invaluable. According to David Arora, the green spored lepiota is responsible for more mushroom poisonings than any other one species. You most likely won't die, but you may wish you did.

Happy Trails

Happy Trails.

Eat Dessert First, Life Is Short!
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:18 pm   #10
stilllookin
Southern, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

As long as the green spore is gastly green then, I had the shaggy. I thought it might have a very very light green tint to it, but when I took it into direct sunlight, I didn't see the green tint, just white. But as with nature I wouldn't rule out a light green print from the green spore. I will be sure to spore print them again when they come up this year. I checked 4 books and I saw that a couple mentioned the saffron in both and to rely only on the spore print. This is such a great site. I would never eat anything without you guys, even if I was 100% sure from the books. Thanks again.