Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Spring of 2019, and Morel Season Predictions.
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:45 am   #11
morelgypsylady
Name: Dena
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Spring of 2019, and Morel Season Predicti

I was so upset when those hot days arrived too early last year. It completely shut us down in Kalamazoo County. Yes, we had a good hunt but it was so short lived! I like your prediction for this year and I agree, if the weather goes our way we could be picking morels by the last week of April, I hope!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:03 am   #12
tomtom
Name: Tom
Central, Indiana USA

I live in southern Indiana. Last year was not a good year here. I hunted hard all season and found a few, but nothing to brag about. No one else found very many either. Spring was late and even then was cool and dry. I hope this year is better. I plan on going out for the first hunt this coming weekend. The temps are supposed to be in the 60s and maybe even 70s by weekend. The Easter lilies are up and trees are budding. Good luck to you this season!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:45 pm   #13
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I went on a hike yesterday and saw that ramps (Wild Leek, Allium tricoccum, a member of the onion family, in the same genus as onions, chives, and garlic,) are now coming up in Berrien County. Not much else is coming up in the woods as of right now. I've found that you really don't find decent sized black morels until the White Trillium is blooming.
It may be time for the verpas in Southern Indiana. Some people are sensitive to them. I have never had any, so I don't know whether or not I react to them.

**It is very important, especially for those new to morel hunting, to read this link:
http://www.michiganmorels.com/morels2.shtml
This gives info on how to tell the true morels from the false ones.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:05 pm   #14
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

Seems like there have been a few finds in southern Indiana. I'm in northern indiana and expect if not next weekend, the weekend after will be the magic time for us.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:54 pm   #15
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I heard some toads last night in Berrien Co.
Today's 65 degree temps brought out the Red Maple blossoms. It takes them (at (least here ) a couple of weeks for the female flowers to become seeds. Usually, when the seeds are almost fully developed, is when I find black morels big enough to harvest.
I may go out this week and check my early spot for morel sprouts.
It's supposed to get colder later this week, so hopefully if anything is sprouting, it won't get frozen.
I'm thinking of heading to Northern Indiana on Easter weekend to do some scouting. I've never found morels in Indiana...maybe this year I can change that! I live about 25 miles or so north of the IN/MI state line, so it's not that far of a drive.
It's also important to keep in mind that lakeshore counties like Lake, Porter, and LaPorte Counties in IN have cooler microclimates, and thus a delayed morel season, at least closer to Lake Michigan.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:04 pm   #16
Jovich
Name: Joe
Southern, Michigan USA

This up and down weather is really good for keeping the ground moist, but it sure isn't allowing the ground temperature to come up very quickly, or very far...yet. It will eventually, of course. However, with night time temps still dropping down into the low 30's very few of our delicious friends will begin growth at all. We really need another eight or ten degrees of warmth...40-60 degree range on a reasonably consistent basis. Upper 30's at minimum during the night, for a week or so, before we will start seeing good signs of what is to come.

My prediction: Two more weeks before the border counties find the first pickers, one week before they find the first "pencil points".

Jeff: Just wanted to add a particular thanks to you for starting these threads every year and documenting the conditions and your observations. I think a lot of folks, even ones not in your area, can benefit from them over time. Very cool of you, thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:29 pm   #17
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Going to be a while here in northern Michigan we got about 7 inches of fresh snow today.Night time temps in the mid 30' or so the next couple weeks.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:57 pm   #18
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I bet there was snow yesterday in Manistee N.F..
Here in Berrien County, we had enough to cover the grass, but it has mostly melted, except in shaded areas. Snow doesn't stand a chance against the April sun.
Rain and temps near 60 are predicted this week, so perhaps instead of Easter Egg hunting, I shall go Morel hunting on Easter instead.
If I do find any, they'll probably be small.

I may go out "scouting" again this week. Members of the rose family, including Serviceberries, are getting ready to bud out. Serviceberries bloom shortly after the leaves emerge, and that's when I usually start finding decent-sized black morels.

If there are verpas (caps) around here, they may be emerging now. I have personally never found verpas outside of Manistee N.F., but that doesn't mean they don't exist anywhere else. They come out before the blacks, and if I go up north and it's too early for blacks, I usually encounter the verpas.

My daffodils in my yard are now starting to bloom. I saw some forsythia bushes with scattered flowers on them. They usually come out with daffodils, but I think the cold snap in January wiped out most of the flower buds on the forsythia bushes. I saw a couple with only flowers at ground level where the snow protected them from the cold.

We're getting close to morel season in Southern MI.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:45 am   #19
bwhetzel
Enhanced Membership
Name: Brad
Northern, Indiana USA

My family is set to take our yearly trip up to Cadillac May 3rd - 7th. Do you guys think were going to be too early? We don't mind finding blacks but are hoping that we aren't up there before they even show up.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:10 pm   #20
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Sugar Maple buds are beginning to open on some trees. My neighbor's Norway Maple is starting to bloom.
Forsythias, like I suspected, are blooming now, but only at ground level where they were protected by snow. The Polar Vortex got them this winter, as well as my Hydrangeas, which are also only getting new leaves at ground level.

I've seen reports from Cass and Van Buren Counties that small blacks are being found. Anywhere that verpas occur in S MI should be producing them now.

I plan on doing some looking today in N IN and tomorrow in SW MI.

Jeff O.