Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion 2013 Morel predictions
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:26 pm   #21
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: 2013 Morel predictions

I heard that, while there is (now frozen) a lot of standing water, a lot of the rain did soak into the ground.
If it stays cool through March, maybe it that ice will thaw and soak into the ground.
Perhaps this morel season has some hope.

Jeff O.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:27 am   #22
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

The night before it froze, my son found worms in the yard. If they could get up, then the moisture got down. NOAA and others predicting wet spring for Indiana and Michigan. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...off01_prcp.gif

Last edited by big amish; Feb 4, 2013 at 4:31 am. Reason: sp
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:17 pm   #23
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Over the weekend, Berrien County received about 7 inches of snow on Friday, 12 inches on Saturday, and about 6 inches yesterday. Today we had about 2 inches more of snow, with a few more inches predicted.
This has been an annoyance, but should help the drought situation.

Keep watching the weather radar and see where most of the snow is falling (lake effect is locally heavy in spots, and almost non-existent in others) and I would bet that those areas will produce more morels.

These would be in Berrien, Van Buren, Allegan, Ottawa, Mason, and Kent Counties in the SW part of the state. Also in Kalamazoo County. Calhoun County usually does not get as much snow (over by Battle Creek.)

The northern counties get snow in the LP as well, as well as the mid-section of the U.P. ( I don't know off-hand the specific counties up north.)

I'm guessing most of us will have a far better year this year compared to last year.

Jeff O.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:13 am   #24
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Well, with all this snow and stuff and if it keeps it up for a while, we might have a decent year.........I just hope we don't have a big thaw and then a hard freeze like last year. I only found 7-8 morels last year and that was with a helper.

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:55 pm   #25
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Looks like above normal precipitation is forecast in the Great Lakes Region for the next 3 months. This should really help out the 2013 Morel Season.

I'm sure this year will be far better than last year.
Currently, the Lake Effect Snow Machine is in full force and it looks like another round of snow later this week.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...off01_prcp.gif

I've heard we are going to have a cool wet spring, which would also be better, as last year's hot, dry spring made for an early and abbreviated morel season. In the past, I can remember some cooler, wetter springs(2003) that were nice morel seasons.

Jeff O.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:22 am   #26
BikerDude
Enhanced Membership
Name: Jim
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

the precipitation has been close to "normal" amounts here in the middle of the State. I noticed standing water in my yard after heavy rains, but soaked in before it froze again. I have frozen puddles now, but above freezing temps are forecast in a couple days. Hopefully we won't see the wild huge temp swings in Mar. as we did last year.

BikerDude.

Be Yourself. (Everyone else is taken!)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:16 pm   #27
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

I agree with uou biker.... As long as we dont have those wild temperature swings again in the spring we should be easily on par for a better season than last year. I remember how crispy it was here on the SE side of the state... We had poor precip last spring over here
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:34 am   #28
tom.c
Enhanced Membership
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

dont think it could be any worse down here than last year. have been getting a good amount of snow and rain so far this year. just hope it doesnt warm up too much too early. hoping for a better year.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:17 am   #29
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

From what I've heard on Weather Channel, etc, our area is supposed to have colder than normal temps with more snow the next 2-3 weeks, then a gradual warm-up from late march thru mid-april, bringing above average temps from mid-April all the way into the start of summer. Coupling that with the expected wet spring everyone has been predicting, it seems like the set-up to a perfect season. But we'll see... it's Michigan. Can't be much worse than last year. It was my first attempt at getting back into morel hunting in at least 8-10 years, and it couldnt have gone worse. Found 3 dried up morels, that's it. If this year is as bad, I'll take the hint that me looking for morels is giving the whole state bad luck. But I am seriously looking forward to this spring.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:10 pm   #30
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Jose.... I saw the same report as you. I just hope that above average temps doesnt mean a drastic swing and then have average night time temps like last year. The day and night time temp swings were unbearable for the mushrooms last year... 72 during the day and 28 at night... it was crazy! and to top that off it was bone dry most of the season over my way, and windy too.