Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Are Morels my Unicorn???!!!!
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:26 pm   #1
danielweberman
Name: DANIEL
Southern, Michigan United States
west bloomfield

Are Morels my Unicorn???!!!!

Hi All
This is my third year in the club and despite going on group hunts, private land in prime areas, old orchards in friend's area in Oakland/Macomb county I've only gotten a total on 10 on only one of 10 hikes...
#frustrated....

I've bought some Morel spore and followed the mix and burnt wood instructions too and laid down the medium in my yard...hoping and praying for some 'shrooms this year..but still, while this is a nice walk in the spring woods, I would like to find some more..

thoughts? ideas? or should I take up golf???
I think that Michigan Morels are my own private Unicorn known but never seen
Danny
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:44 pm   #2
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: Are Morels my Unicorn???!!!!

One thing you have to realize is that usually when you see someone with several hundred morels, it is because they have their own private property and hunt all day.

Try looking around dead elm trees, living ash trees, and continue going on group hunts if you can.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:07 am   #3
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

You just have to keep expanding and remember the areas. It is tough but i usually hike 150 hours plus a season. Good luck!
Old May 9, 2019, 12:49 am   #4
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

@danielweberman keep at it. know your trees. if you're looking in the same spots year after year and not turning anything up, keep expanding your areas. scout in the off seasons if you can. They are definitely out there. As always... some seasons are better than others. Sounds like this year is a banger for a bunch of folks just south of us
Old May 17, 2019, 12:33 pm   #5
danielweberman
Name: DANIEL
Southern, Michigan United States
west bloomfield

Found 2 dozen yesterday and today in Oakland county.....Blacks blondes
Hooray! I broke the spell!!!
Old May 17, 2019, 9:01 pm   #6
chigger
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sharon
Southern, Michigan usa
Centreville

Yay!!
Old May 19, 2019, 3:27 am   #7
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I know a lot of people are upset about the rainy, cool weather Michigan has been experiencing, but from a morel standpoint, it's perfect! Hot weather makes for a quick season. This year has been a great year. This has also been a great year for the half-frees. They don't produce every year. I have found more this year than the last 10 years combined.
And to add to what SHulBy said, look around dead elms for morels. That's what I've done in the last few years. I used to hunt mostly around ash trees with success, but since the Emerald Ash Borer killed most of them, I've had to look in other places. I never used to hunt around dead elms until a couple of years ago.
And there's a ray of hope regarding ash trees. Most mature ash trees have been wiped out by the EAB's, and new ones are growing to replace them, free of those pesky borers. We should have ash trees hosting morels in a few years. The ash borers killed off their food source and are disappearing. I've also seen "dead' ash trees sprouting from their bases, and should be mature trees in about 6-10 years.
In the meantime, keep looking for dead elms, mature ash trees, old apple trees and Bigtooth Aspen. In Southern MI and points south, scout around Tuliptrees, Eastern White Pine and Black Cherry, and don't forget apple trees. If you need help with tree identification, look on the internet, and also buy tree ID books, either at bookstores or try Amazon.com.
Happy Hunting!

Jeff O.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:29 am   #8
chantyman
Name: Ed
Southern, Ohio USA

One of the best sites for information!

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/trees/index.html