Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion 2013 Morel predictions
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:45 am   #41
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

Re: 2013 Morel predictions

Yep, saw one out in the neighbors yard yesterday and started thinking, it's just about go time. Every year my idea of the unofficial start of spring is the sucker run in Omer. That should start up here very soon, planning on taking a trip up that way Thursday. Mon/tues will be a mini cold spell, but i feel like from there on out should be smooth sailing. Happy hunting to everyone this season, we aren't too far off now.

Josh
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:56 pm   #42
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Heard my first spring peepers in my pond yesterday...another good sign of spring!

Jeff O.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:43 am   #43
Decimakay
Name: Decimakay
Southern, Michigan USA
Paw paw

I spoke with a man who's family are mushroom growers and he was telling me that whenever we have big storms come through that pull up trees (like sw mich experienced a couple summers ago) you can usually locate morels approximately 9 months later near the now deceased trees. Does anyone have any thoughts to this statement?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:18 pm   #44
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

DK, being no expert on morel growth, but with years of experience, I would not take that advice as logical, for instance say, the tree was blown over in November, you are not going to find morels in August, trust me on that one please, morels are a spring growth mushroom only, outside of a few species that can fruit at other times of the year, but are not native to this area, they are usually introduced thru wood chip mulch or some other ground cover imported from other states.
2nd of all, yellow and grey morels are found in conjunction to certain species of trees as they have a symbionic relationship to those trees, where both nourish each other with a food source, certain species of trees will not have this relationship with morel.
The black morel and the brown morel are somewhat scavengers, they could live off the rotting remains of a fallen tree, but only from the March to mid May time frame in Michigan, hope this helps ya, mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:16 pm   #45
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

The earthworms are out in SW MI, so the ground has thawed out.
No Dutchman's Breeches yet....I typically start finding the black morels when they are blooming.

With next weeks forecast daytime temps in the 60's and all this rain, I'm guessing we are about 10 days away from finding morels in SW MI.
(I'm still holding to my prediction that I will find at least one morel by April 20th....a fresh one in the wild... not a bag of Earthy Delights at Meijer. ..which btw are $12.99/ half oz. this year.)

I usually also find morels when the hard maples (e.g. Sugar Maples) are starting to blossom. An indication that they are getting ready to blossom is when the seeds are germinating and you start seeing them come out of the ground...haven't seen that yet. They seem to sprout a few days before the tree buds start opening.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:41 pm   #46
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I saw maple seeds germinating today, and Red Maples are blooming.

Trillium is starting to sprout, and Dutchman's Breeches and Bloodroots have sprouted and have flower buds.

With the weather this week (and the fact that I saw someone found some near Grand Rapids this weekend) I think I'll have some morels by the end of the week. (There may be some tiny ones coming up now, but I'll wait until they are big enough to eat before harvesting.)

Jeff O.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:49 pm   #47
chigger
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sharon
Southern, Michigan usa
Centreville

And the you'll invite us all over to share some for breakfast. Right Jeff? : )
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:50 pm   #48
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

good luck jeff! hope you find some!!!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:43 pm   #49
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Since I currently have to go to the library for my internet (my computer crashed hard recently.) and the library closes at 7pm, I go out in a little while to see if I can find anything.

I'm sure if I do, it will be small...in which case I will leave it and come back later this week, hoping what I find is still there and has grown.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:07 pm   #50
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I went out yesterday, and sure enough, I found a very small, morel, then while down on my hands and knees, found two more.
I'm hoping that noone else finds them, as I left them behind to grow. (These were in Berrien County.)
I'm going to check on them this weekend, as it is supposed to be rainy until Saturday. (Currently we are having thunderstorms with heavy downpours in Berrien County, and this is supposed to continue thru Friday.)

With the three morels so close together, and the fact that they were easy to locate, I imagine there will be a bumper crop of morels this year, especially with all this rain. Hopefully, it will not turn dry and hot in May, like last year.

Oh, and by the way, if you come over for breakfast, you'd better bring something to eat..

Jeff O.