Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Effect of Ash Borer on morels
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:46 pm   #1
PoorOldRon
Enhanced Membership
Name: Ron
Northern, Michigan USA
Atlanta

Effect of Ash Borer on morels

I realize the morels grow where they grow but my best experience has been hunting the hardwoods, especially looking for ash trees. Now that the Ash Borer has, for the most part,(and no thanks to the DNR for dropping the ball) infected or killed every ash tree in the lower peninusula, any guess what's going to happen as far as a host tree for the morels?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:03 pm   #2
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Effect of Ash Borer on morels

For lack of better knowledge... people say that they'll likely find another tree to host off of but it's going to take time. The morel has many hosts (black cherry, elm, BTA, etc... so it's not going to just die off, but they would become far more scarce for the areas that rely solely on ash trees for hunting success. I have seen devastating impacts of ash tree destruction here in SE lower MI. There is only one or two areas I can find living ash trees and they don't have much longer to live. I've only found one area where morels still associate with the ash trees in SE lower

I heard rumor that they were going to try and plant an Asian ash tree similar to the white ash, that is resistant to the ash borer since Asia where is where the pest came from. But who knows, that could lead to a whole other problem. And who knows if it would be a likely host to morels.

Some other people with more knowledge than me (which isn't hard to achieve haha) will respond to this soon i'm sure
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:38 pm   #3
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Ron, as all living things will adapt to new surroundings, things will take time, I would check trees like Blake suggested but would also add the cottonwood to that list, I find morels around them all the time, and yes the Do Nothing Right (DNR) has once again let us down, in a big fashion with the spread of the ash borer, but that is what is expected from them anymore, so time will tell, where they grow and where they adapt too,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:01 am   #4
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

Don't bail on your ash trees just yet. If a favorite tree(s) was cut down since last spring, the root system may still be active and there may be fruiting around the stump(s). I have experienced this numerous time in selective harvests in Northern Michigan.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:28 am   #5
Justapickin
Enhanced Membership
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

There may have been a lot of Ash lost to the Borer and saw but there are still alot of Ash to hunt in the north...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:03 pm   #6
Guido
Enhanced Membership
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

I doubt that the demise of the Ash will lead to the demise of the morel. Old hunters will just need to learn new tricks!

I never had much luck with ash trees here in SE MI to begin with - they have always seemed to prefer the Elms. But up north, in most woods, the opposite seems to be true; but even there I have found some areas where Elm is king.

My guess is that blonde/grey/white will migrate to the other well-known host trees (Elm etc), and that the brown/black species will do the same (BTA etc).

Is it too soon to start worrying about the lack of rain? We were well below normal for March and today is our first "April shower".

Just a few...

Guido
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:51 pm   #7
tobinj92878
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeremy
Southern, Michigan USA
Grand Rapids Metro

Why blame the DNR? It was people who refused to abide by the dont move firewood rule. Anyway, I am glad that most of my local hunting dont have ash trees. I AM EXCITED FOR A NEW YEAR!!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:27 pm   #8
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

from what i understand.... the effects of ash borer weren't realized until it was too late. It wasn't people ignoring the rule... they simply were ignorant to the fact that the borer even existed until they started seeing trees dying. By the time they saw the effects it was way too late
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:42 pm   #9
srashley
Enhanced Membership
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

From someone who has had the ash killed off in my area for a few years ow, the thing I have noticed is that in large part the ash borer tends to hit the more mature ash trees, the ones that produce morels. What I mean is that there are a lot of young ash around here in the areas opened up by the dead ash canopy. It remains to be seen what transpires with that. Will the borer start on the younger ash? Or will the younger ones get old enough to produce morels a few years then get taken by the beetle? That seems to be what is happening so far. Like many have already said, it's a "wait and see" game. Until then, find the black cherry, tulip tree and aspen for blacks and the dead elms, dead apples, white pines and some other trees for yellows!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:55 pm   #10
MisterNatural
Name: Roosevelt
Southern, Michigan USA

I believe it will spell the end for the type of morel hunting folks are used to seeing up north. The elms have been toast for a long time down here and, except for rare situations, they ain't taking up with other tree species.

Solution, stop importing stuff. until we do that we';re all to blame for the loss of trees, chestnut, ash, elm, beech, etc. etc. Almost makes me wonder if it's a sort of eco terrorism.

Where I used to work if we shipped stuff to china ALL wood that made the crates had to be specially treated and stamped so from the lumberyard. If one board on that crate was not showing a stamp the entire cargo was rejected and shipped back. No if's ands or butts. I wonder if we are that strict here in the US on imports.

Looks like the asian carp have found their way into the Great Lakes too. Funny how so many of these things come from Asia. Bye bye best freshwater fishery in the world. Hope those asian carp taste good because pretty soon that's all there's gonna be to eat.

My YouTube is MiWilderness