Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion trilliums edible???!!!
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 5, 2013, 11:48 am   #1
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

trilliums edible???!!!

So i was out checkin' out a couple spots yesterday, and i was on my way out and saw some asian folk harvesting some plants and didnt really think anything of it... on my way back i saw them snapping the top off of young unflowered trilliums!!! I was going to say something to them that it was illegal to pick those plants...but figured what's the point, people don't listen anyway. but i am wondering what the hell they were doing with them... they had three plastic grocery bags about half full.

I will say i harvest ramps, and i suppose it could be considered a wild flower and illegal to harvest on state land, but trilliums??? really??
Old May 5, 2013, 5:08 pm   #2
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: trilliums edible???!!!

In asian culture they are dried and used as a tea, supposed to be good for respitory illness and improving respitory actions, in other words good for your lungs, mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old May 5, 2013, 7:04 pm   #3
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

thanks miker, i was wondering what they were gonna do with them! trillium tea... gotta admit sounds good :) I know my lungs could use some healing being a st. clair. county native across the river from chemical valley!
Old May 8, 2013, 2:53 pm   #4
TFO1013
Name: Rodney
Southern, Michigan USA

In one of Euell Gibbons' books I believe he talks about using the leaves of trillium as a cooked green (can't remember which book it was though) but he doesn't mention anything about the flowers.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:22 pm   #5
MisterNatural
Name: Roosevelt
Southern, Michigan USA

If they are abundant enough I don't see anything wrong with ethically harvesting them for personal use to eat or use as medicine. I've never messed with them myself, they just look pretty in the woods.

According to Peterson's field guide trillium leaves can be eaten raw or cooked. Once the buds and flowers appear the leaves become bitter.

Trillium is listed in Peterson's field guide and Indian Herbalogy of North America, as having a wide range of medicinal uses. Another common name for trillium is beth root which was derived from an older common name "birth root" giving a hint to some of it's medicinal uses.

My YouTube is MiWilderness
Old May 13, 2013, 12:52 pm   #6
ShLUbY
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA

we have tons and tons of trillium here. i agree an ethical harvest isnt a bad thinig!