Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Old Hens and Black Trumpets and Garlic Bugs
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:46 am   #1
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Old Hens and Black Trumpets and Garlic Bugs

I went scouting for morel habitat on Saturday and ran across some beautifully preserved black trumpets growing next to some hens that weren't in all that bad of shape! The hens still had some nice white flesh.

When I get the use of a better camera I will get some pictures. I'm going back out there today to explore a little bit more but I don't have the use of a decent digital camera at the moment.

The most exciting find was the stands of big toothed aspen

Blacks don't grow in large numbers down here but I did manage to find a few last year so I will give this area a good look. Unfortunately they are mature trees and not the smaller ones that I've read are productive. At least I'll score a few oysters.

Does anyone know what the tiny (pepper sized) black bugs are that are on the ground and trees by the millions? They smell like garlic when squished.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:10 pm   #2
jpmilo
Name: john
Southern, Michigan USA
Three Rivers

Re: Old Hens and Black Trumpets and Garlic Bu

Snow fleas I`m guessing,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLKzogOj8Q

We picked up 2 inches of snow today. Grrrr
Looks nice but I`m ready to get dirt on these boots.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:05 pm   #3
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Snow fleas! Awesome!

Sorry about your snow. I spent 4 hours in the woods and found some great morel habitat!

Also saw a large white mushroom at the base of an oak as I was leaving the area. It's not too far from the other hens I found Sunday. I suppose it could be oysters but it had that hen shape.

Found lots of other really far gone hens and will visit those spots in late summer. They were on trees right next to well traveled trails so no one must pick them in that area.

Thanks for the bug ID
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:23 am   #4
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I have a pond on my property, and have seen Springtails (aka Snow Fleas) hopping on the surface of the water when I looking for tadpoles or trying to locate a Spring Peeper calling close to the edge of the water.

Also, one time in Manistee National Forest in the 1980's while morel hunting with my parents, I came across a patch of bluish-black ground. It was a patch of millions of these Springtails gathered in an area about 8ftX8ft. When you approached it, they all started jumping and made a rustling sound similar to rain on dry leaves.

Now that I came upon this thread, I want to try to photograph the tiny critters on my pond! The pond is just about free of ice now. Morel Season is most likely 3-4 weeks away in S MI instead of 3-4 months!

Jeff O.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:23 pm   #5
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

what the hell is a peeper
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:44 pm   #6
jpmilo
Name: john
Southern, Michigan USA
Three Rivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX9uODHi0zg
Spring peepers and chorus frogs.
Harbingers of spring!

Take a drive down a country road with ponds or swampy ground nearby on a warm evening in late march/early April. You are bound to hear them - by the thousands.

Our pond is frozen still. no peepers.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:01 am   #7
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Jeff O. I know what you mean about the rustling sound they make. They are interesting little critters. I wonder if they are edible. I mean they really DO smell like garlic. Could squish a few and add them to a wild spring edibles dish.

JPmilo, the ponds are thawing here in Ingham Co. and the swamps are getting mushy but I imagine the poor peepers are having a rough time at the moment. It's not even 20F right now. It's lightly snowing. I bet my maple sap is frozen in the buckets.

Power company butchered my trees a few months ago so I have maples pouring sap out of their amputated limbs so I decided to collect it. I got a little bit of syrup and made a bit of maple sugar. Next year I'm going to actually tap some trees. It's a nice hobby for those horrible winter months when nothing is growing.

I'm heading down to AR next Thursday and hopefully will find a few morels there. It will be so nice to see Spring! I'll try to bring it back with me when I return.