Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Spring 2017...Morel Predicitons.
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 5, 2017, 2:14 am   #41
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: Spring 2017...Morel Predicitons.

Dead elms are a little tricky to ID this year. Normally, before the leaves come out on elms, they have seeds on most of their branches...while dead elms will be completely bare. The elms bloomed early this year, and were frozen, so most don't have seeds, and, until a couple of days ago, were completely bare.

The rain has stopped for now, and cool weather will still be with us. Hopefully, this will be a repeat of 2003, when there was a bumper crop of morels during a cool, rainy May.

Looks like the long-range forecast shows another cool spell for Mother's Day weekend.

Jeff O.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:21 am   #42
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Don't be discouraged, there is great spots available,some you have to go off the beaten path for. Not all morels grow by certain trees, I've found them everywhere, patients and observation are two traits shared by every shroomer, the knowledge on this page can help greatly, or it can overload your hard drive lol. Remember if they grow 100 yards off the road they grow 2 miles off!!!!
Old May 5, 2017, 8:27 pm   #43
zmklein11
Name: Zach
Central, Michigan United States
Kent County

Thanks for help and encouragement. I'm just frustrated because I'm a long time musky fisherman without a catch. I suck at nature I guess. Lol. I'll keep at it. Thanks again
Old May 20, 2017, 12:22 am   #44
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

The season is winding down in SW MI. Earlier this week, I found 9 small grays..some fresh.
Hunting in 80 degree weather sucks. The mosquitoes were thick and I picked up several ticks. One of them attached to me, but I got it removed. It couldn't have been on me more than 20 minutes..from what I understand it takes them 24 hrs to transmit Lyme Disease. They don't feed right away either. I'm just left with an itchy welt that I'm keeping my eye on. It hasn't developed a bullseye rash, and it's been 2 days since I removed the tick.
There didn't seem to be any ticks or mosquitoes when it was in the low 50s while I hunted.

Always frequently check yourself for ticks while in the woods! I discovered the one attached to me on my belly after I lifted my shirt when I felt a tickle. One was crawling on me and the other was attached.

I think this year, like 2012, has been particularly bad when it comes to ticks...probably due to the mild winter and early spring.

Rain and cooler weather has returned to Southern MI, probably too late. I may go out one more time this week.

If it is raining in Northern MI, it should be good for yellows.
I found several small blacks in the UP when I went up there last Sunday....growing under Northern White Cedar, coming up in moss. This weekend should be a good time for blacks north of the 45th parallel. (Gaylord and points north.)

Probably the best places to look right now are in forests closer to a cold Great Lake, (Lake Michigan e.g.) like areas near Frankfort or Charlevoix...and in Cheboygan Co.

Jeff O.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:40 pm   #45
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Jeff, where about? The friend I brought to the dinner has a home in the Grand Marais area.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:20 pm   #46
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Where about what?
Looking for morels north of the 45th parallel?

I've only hunted a couple of times up there. My best advice is get a Delorme Gazetteer and look for state and national forests, and scope out those places.

I know areas in Wexford Co. in Manistee N.F. but I won't tell where
I will say in Wexford Co, near Mesick, near Harrietta, near Caberfae, and around Cadillac.

And speaking of ticks, I found a tiny one attached to me last night that I hadn't noticed before. It was slightly engorged. I removed it, swabbed the bite with alcohol, and put a band-aid on it.
So far, that bite hasn't produced a big rash.
Also, fortunately in SW MI, there is less than a 3% chance of getting Lyme Disease.

I am debating on whether I want to go out one more time in Van Buren Co. this year. I think they are done this far south.

Jeff O.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:36 pm   #47
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Sorry Jeff. Where in the UP did you find the morels. We are trying to time our run up to Grand Marais.
I haven't seen any ticks this year. I put permetherin on my clothes. So far so good.

Found some old but ok whites today. Also found some baby chickens in Ingham Co.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:36 pm   #48
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I actually had a small tick engorged near my shoulder that I removed, 3 days after I was in the woods. I have been kind of paranoid since then. So far, it hasn't developed a bulls-eye rash.

The other tick I pulled off in the woods that had attached itself to me left behind a small red welt, kind of like a mosquito bite.

From what I understand, you have a 1-3% chance of getting Lyme Disease from a tick bite.

As for the season, I think it is done in SW MI.
I think the best places to go now would be the U.P. and the northern quarter of the L.P.

If you have a Michigan State Map. Open it up, then unfold the sideways folds until you have it open to where one half shows most of the Lower Peninsula, the other the Upper Peninsula and the Northern Lower Peninsula. I think the best places to look now are on the half of the map with the U.P.

Last weekend in the U.P. in Mackinac Co., I found some fresh blacks under a Northern White Cedar tree, growing in moss. Moss holds moisture so I think most of the morels you find in the dry north will be growing in moss.

Jeff O.