Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Spring 2017...Morel Predicitons.
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:01 am   #11
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

Re: Spring 2017...Morel Predicitons.

WNDU and NOAA are both predicting a warm and slightly dry spring. The best years are cool and wet. Based on that it will be below normal, but forecasts are never final until it happens.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:37 pm   #12
Crazy Dave
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA
Buchanan

SW MI here, I am not sure our ground ever froze and we have had plenty of moisture. Short of a cold snap I think we are in for a good season or at least a early one. My prediction is based on stupidity and optimism.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:11 pm   #13
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

The water table is high in the Benton Harbor area, with some farm fields partially underwater.

Most of our snow this winter has come from Lake Michigan, rather than storm systems, so areas not prone to lake effect precipitation are somewhat drier than those areas that seem to be dumping grounds for lake effect snow.

Jeff O.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:10 pm   #14
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

definitely not getting my hopes up about black season this year. last year was pretty much a bust with the weather and this year is looking very similar so far. blond season wasn't awful, but it was good either; at least not for me.

This year i'll be hunting in the manistee for the first time ever (going to school at ferris state) so i'm looking forward to trying to find some BTA patches that don't get run over before I get to them lol. I'll also be doing hunting around my home town on weekends and when i get out of school in early may.

I think it's gonna be another tough year where you have to cover 4x the amount of ground to find what you're looking for... just like last year!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:11 pm   #15
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I had a good year for grays and blondes last year, but only found one black.

I am scouting for new areas, as I used to hunt around ash trees which now are dead.

300 miles south of here, it looks like it's about morel time, so I'm guessing in about 4 weeks, it will be morel time in Berrien County.

I spent the weekend in Louisville, KY, and noticed Bradford Pears were in blossom, and Red Maples and Forsythia bushes were also blooming.
I have found good morels when the Red Maple seeds are almost fully developed, which is about 2 weeks or so after they bloom.

Jeff O.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:31 am   #16
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Just when you thought it was Spring, Old Man Winter brought his girlfriend "Stella" across the region and dumped several inches of snow across the Great Lakes Region. Chicago is getting lake effect snow tonight, and this storm is headed east to join a low pressure system to form a massive Nor'easter, which is expected to give the northeast a blizzard.

At least the snow preserves moisture in the ground. We could do without the really cold weather, as it may affect Berrien County's fruit crop.

And in response to my last post, I thought perhaps Southern Indiana was getting close to morel season...and I've seen posts on facebook where people have found small blacks.

Jeff O.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:22 pm   #17
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Seen a post from a guy in extreme southern Ohio that found a black on March 5th!!!!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 pm   #18
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

7-9 inches of snow fell in parts of Berrien County today. I guess we're not done with winter yet!
At least that adds moisture to the ground.

Jeff O.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:10 am   #19
bbrue
Name: Branden
Northern, Ohio USA

Better snow than 70 and rain right now. Never have a good morel season when spring comes early, I can remember some of the best years were cool 50's during the day and forties at night, rainy, maybe a 65 degree day or two in the week, those are the best black shroom years. Not the early warm ups.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:20 pm   #20
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Our forecast for the next several days in SW MI is 60's during the day, 40's at night, with rain pretty much every day.
I should check out my early morel spots in about a week to see if I find any morel sprouts.

We could use weather like that in about a month when it is typically morel season here in SW MI.

Jeff O.