Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Any idea's?
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:27 am   #1
WilliamLEJA
Name: William
Northern, Illinois USA

Any idea's?

Hi folks,

During a camping adventure in the Manistee National Forest near Fremont, Mi I found a bunch of these mushrooms. I don't have a spore print yet. These mushrooms were found in a large stand of pine trees where some
Amanita muscaria var. formosa were also growing.

The photos should do the speaking, but in case they aren't clear I will try to describe the mushroom. The top of the cap was more red when it was fresh. The flesh was white when I cut into it. The gills are tightly packed (almost spongy) and olive green in color. When I pulled out the mushroom the base of the stem had some blue in color in addition to the white color of the stem.

Anyone have any ideas? I am not good at identifying anything other than morels so I need some input from people that know more than I do.

Thank you very much in advance,

William

P.S. Michigan is much more beautiful than the suburbs of Chicago where I am from. I was very impressed. Thanks for keeping the state beautiful.

Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9261385-1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	6980   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9261386-1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	6981   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9261387-1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	6982  
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:09 am   #2
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: Any idea's?

Howday William and welcome!

My standard response: this is an educated guess - with the info you gave I'd say possibly Boletus projectellus. I'm no expert on the Boletes... at all. Based upon what you describe I went to Mushroomexpert.com and came back to that particular bolete. Pretty fungi. Here's a link for your comparison...

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/boletus_projectellus.html

The one thing I don't agree with on my own conclusion is the blue staining you've seen so I very well could be wrong. However... that' will get you started. There are a lot of boletes out there. Cool stuff.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:11 pm   #3
WilliamLEJA
Name: William
Northern, Illinois USA

Bachflock,

Thank you very much for the reply. I was perusing mushroomexpert.com, but never found this particular bolete. Now I have something to go on. I think I will put some of the spores on a slide and put it under a microscope and see what I've got.

If anyone else has any differing opinions about what this mushroom is...I am all ears.

William
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:32 pm   #4
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

By the appearance of your photo's I would probably put it in the subfamily of boletus, suillus, I'll look into it more for ya,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said