Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Learning Center > Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Blewits and a king ???
Identification Help Mushroom Photo's Not sure what mushroom it is? Post it here.

Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:38 am   #1
mnmmorels
Name: Matt
Central, Michigan usa
Essexville

Blewits and a king ???

found a ton of these purple shrooms while we were salmon fishing, and this one big one I'm hoping is a king, and also tons of honeys. First time I've found these 3. Headed back for the weekend so I'll get some better pics. and hopefully a hen or 2!!! These were all found in a stand of red pines with a few oaks and small maples mixed in, the big one was right at the base of a red pine. Thanks !! Matt
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9132010.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	7003   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9132011.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	7004   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9202139.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	7005  
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:55 pm   #2
Bachflock
Enhanced Membership
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: Blewits and a king ???

Howdy Matt...

that is certainly a bolete... from the pics it could be either a king or a bitter. Did the pores have a slight pinkish hue? Did you get a spore print?

As far as the other it would be a good resemblence to a blewit. I would like to see a closer pictures of the stem and the underside of the cap but you're on the right track. I've found corts that would look identical to blewits except there is remnants of the cort either under the cap or on the stem. A buff spore print, vs rust, would lead me to believe its a blewit. Others here have more experience with both these and may point you in a different direction but that's my 2 cents worth. You're in the right habitat it sounds...

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.

Last edited by Bachflock; Oct 2, 2010 at 5:07 am.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:38 pm   #3
miker
Enhanced Membership
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Matt, I've got good news and bad news for ya, you probably have blewits there, but do a sporeprint, and the bad news, your king is probably a bitter bolete, pitch it, if the spore print is olive brown you have a king, if it wine red color, that is a bitter,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:36 pm   #4
SWMichRealtor
Enhanced Membership
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan USA
Plainwell

take a little nibble of the bolete; just a little piece of the flesh and mash it between your teeth. You will know very quickly whether its a bitter.

I am actually a little more optimistic that its Elvis than Miker. I don't find nearly as many tylopilus fellus (bitters) in the fall. Miker is usually right, however.

Ed
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:33 pm   #5
mnmmorels
Name: Matt
Central, Michigan usa
Essexville

Thanks all !! Just got back from the weekend,No fresh ones came up while we were gone so I couldn't get pics. I did spore print both and the large one was a pretty much straight brown,and the purple one I had on a white sheet of paper and didn't leave any spores that I could see in 2 days. I pitched them all but want to be more informed for next year if I find them again !!! Never did manage to find any hens,But the flushes of honeys from last week were absolutely monsterous. Thanks again !!!! Matt