Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion It's me
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:34 am   #1
shroonthumper
Name: victor
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

Icon16 It's me

Hey sister:
We can hit the spots in town real soon. I'm hoping to get out when it warms back up. I f you catch this post please reply so i can find you on here. I will keep you posted. (on how good they tasted) LOL luv ya
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:19 pm   #2
shroonthumper
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

Icon16 Re: It's me

Also i would like to know about the type of walking sticks everyone uses. Even if it's a special branch picked up in a forage long ago. I use a 5 foot piece of 150 year old cactus. It's stronger then steel and light as a feather. plus it has a very good oil compass mounted on the top. Happy hunting all.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:40 pm   #3
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: It's me

Howdy Victor - welcome.

A friend of mine surprised me with a walking stick a few years back. Oak, carved my last name into it. Nice and stout. Would have no worries using it to fend off rabid morel hunters if need be - LOL. Last couple of years I've cut maple saplings and had my kids make their own. I let them dry for a few weeks then did some very basic carving on it then varnished it. In retrospect I'd cover it in linseed oil and call it good - the varnish melts under mosquito repellent. Lesson's learned.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:53 pm   #4
shroonthumper
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

Hi vance
Thanks for the howdy.And the response on the walking stick my sis gave me the cactus. I have a couple semi retired sticks i use. Just as i get used to using them i end up breaking them. My hunting buddy and i rap 3 times on a dead elm to let each other know where we are. This practice some times does a number on the stick. I wish you great luck in this years hunt. P.S. I carry a sock full of rocks for the spot raiders. It works well. If you don't need them for throwing they make a great counter balance after you fill your sack.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:01 pm   #5
shrooming girl
Name: earlean
Southern, Michigan USA

Its me shrooming girl/sis. I am surprised you still use that stick. I knew when I bought it that you would just love it. The stick I use is a stick I picked up in the woods and wrapped the top part with some leather so it would be easy on my hands. You know I have to keep the hands in tip top shape for all the mushrooms that I find. On the end is an old used shot gun shell. Mom showed me that little trick. I wanted to let you know that I have found us a place to hunt for them little pieces of heaven today. Lots of apple trees and I have permisson for you to go also. Talk to you soon.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:56 pm   #6
IM2HAPPI
Name: Barb
Central, Michigan USA
Midland

Awwww you guys stop that lol no actually those family traditions overwhelm me in this day and age. This is the sweetest thing Ive read on here in here in a long time. Family traditions is what it all about. I hope you guys find the motherload together, Best of luck 2010 ; )
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:55 pm   #7
shrooming girl
Southern, Michigan USA

LOL Barb, we have some wonderful things to share about shrooming. My brother's boys even get involved. They both try to beat their Dad to one of his favorite places to find them. One year, when they beat him there they left I think one shroom and a beer bottle with a little note for him. It is just the time of year that brings out the best in us. LOL. Or maybe the worse depending on whom is telling the story. I hope you find the Mother Load this year also. Happy Hunting.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:15 am   #8
shroonthumper
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

To barb: we (myself & shroom girl) have a mother that can smell morels and our father always knew when & where to find them. with out a doubt after mom showed him. Our brother is also very good at the hunt as well. To us i do believe it's in our blood. You have great year as well.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:23 am   #9
shroonthumper
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

to shrooming girl : i have a few things to pass on.

john has a few shells for you.

and i found the state land it's real easy to get to im checking it tomorrow. looks good from the air (thanks google)

I'd give the places we went today a warm rain and sun and POP POP

love ya!!!! thumper
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:31 am   #10
shrooming girl
Southern, Michigan USA

Red face Re: It's me

I'm praying to the rain God's and good ole Mother Nature. I will get a hold of Big John tomorrow. The smell of them shrooms will be in the air very soon. Love Ya.