Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Trip report for Memorial Day
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:01 am   #1
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Trip report for Memorial Day

Not expecting to find much, I took a one day instead of a three day trip up north this year. I left Sunday afternoon, and arrived in Cadillac that night.
Monday I went out in Manistee N.F. and didn't find anything.

I thought I was in for another year doing battle with Forest Tent Caterpillars when I saw defoliated trees draped in webs at the Cadillac Rest Area, and caterpillars on a pic-nic table under a tree with chewed up leaves.

Happilly, my areas where I find morels were caterpillar/web free, unlike last year So these buggers must pass through an area and move on.

Unfortunately, my areas where I find morels were also morel-free.

Oh, well, I got a brief get-away, and fresh air, sunshine, and exercise so it wasn't all bad.
I'll have to go look at old photos and see what year it was, I think 1986 when I was 14, the places I went this year were goldmines. I remember finding paper grocery bags full of morels, instead of this year's handful every time I went out.
I'm hoping next year will be a grocery paper bag year instead of a paper lunch sack year for me.
Maybe this year I'll learn to identify some other edibles, though I prefer morels because they are easy to identify and an excellent edible. There aren't any closely related nearly identical deadly poisonous mushrooms that look like morels as in other species.

Jeff O.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:15 pm   #2
ksfrancisco
Name: Kim
Central, Michigan USA
Saginaw

Re: Trip report for Memorial Day

Indeed not a good year for morels for me. I found 3 blonde ones in Bay Port which in past years Ive found more than my fair share. Ive hear they was in finding them in Flint area Near Kersley damn. and mott lake area. Hope we all have better luck next year.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:05 am   #3
dave6558
Name: dave
Northern, Michigan USA
west branch

Smile Re: Trip report for Memorial Day

My township is spraying this year for those catapillars i guess some non toxic stuff they drop out of a plane i think its common and might be a good reason to not see many in your area some seasons. I'll take anything that helps lol. I seen them starting here but they were really small and ill be watching for the plane all day they said june 4th. ill probably get inside for a few if i see it go over
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:03 pm   #4
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

they use slow flying planes down here to spray feremones to interupt breeding cycle of gypsy moths. they kill vast areas of white oak.strange to watch the plane drone for long times just flying a grid.supposedly wont hurt humans. hope it works out for the worms.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:32 pm   #5
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Wow...someone bumped up my thread from a year ago.

I didn't go up north this year because of the high gas prices.
Anyone hunt this year in Manistee National Forest over Memorial Day Weekend in the Cadillac-Mesick-Wellston general area??? Was it a good year up there? Notice I say general area because I don't like to give my specific spots.

Jeff O.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:05 am   #6
ross
Name: ross
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

I only spent a couple hours in that area before going further north. There were definitely mushrooms, but they were not easy to see. Not sure what the deal is in the woods I like to hunt around there, but they get so overgrown now that you have to get right on top of the shrooms to see them. I may just be imagining things, but it seems like the two years since the gypsy moth larvae infestation have brought forth extremely lush vegetation. Whether there is a correllation I'm not sure, but I hope to be able to hunt these woods again someday without having greenery up to my knees.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:05 am   #7
Mushroom Jack
Name: Jack
Northern, Michigan USA
Lewiston

I guess it depended on where you hunted this year. Some folks did lousy, others did great. I hunted around home and it was the best year I've seen in about 10 years. Found Blacks, Grays, Whites and Semiliberas, all in large numbers. Even found about 50 Crassipes in perfect, fresh condition. Hope the rest of the Mushroom season goes as good !

Tip of the " Mushroom Cap " to ya's !!!