Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Give us your garden reports
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:52 am   #1
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Give us your garden reports

Mine? Non existent again this year. I was looking forward to having one, but it didn't work out. After morel season, when I was ready to till it up, it seemed to rain ever other day or two right up to now. also I have to borrow a tiller, so I had to wait until it was available, but they had the same problem, so by the time they got their garden tilled, it was too late for mine. LOL Oh well, I didn't want to work too hard this summer anyway.

I finally mowed my garden spot. Weeds and thistles 4 feet tall and gone to seed! I am going to be fighting weeds for years!

I should've stayed home instead of hunting morels and worked on the garden when tilling was possible because of drier conditions. My morel season sucked eggs.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:20 pm   #2
GammaDee
Name: Donna
Central, Michigan USA
Saginaw Co.

Re: Give us your garden reports

Ya, Frank we (as in Pat) did get the garden tilled up.
But all I put in this year was 4 tomato plants was still to wet.
Had to plant green peppers up in flower garden. LOL
I did get a big suprise in the garden, my potatoes I planted last year (that was put in to late] They all came up this spring.
They have potatoes on them, so am hoping I get some for fall.
I did not know you could plant potatoes in fall for next spring.
Learn somthing new every day.
Also all my onions came up from last year, but every last one went to seed. guess you cant do that with onions.

GammaDee
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:13 pm   #3
IM2HAPPI
Name: Barb
Central, Michigan USA
Midland

Ok heres mine and I have to tell the truth because Frank or Deb anyday of the week can drive by and look at it from the road so here goes. We planted everything after we got back from mushroom camp. It is doing real well, so well that the baby bunnies are getting bigger by eating my beet tops and my snow pea plants. The brats lol. I cannot wait for a fried green tomatoes. My rhubarb did so well I have 6 gals of strawberry/rhubarb wine fermenting. I have frooze a ton of it because my grandkids like the jam I make out of it, and its still growing. BTW last years grapes made some awesome wine .... trust me.Cukes, squash, peppers, carrots and everything else is doing great. I might add so far we are weed free. That is what we said we were going to make sure if we had to weed it everyday (and we have almost daily).
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:47 am   #4
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

You're veggie full and weed free? Wow! that's a lot of disipline on your part. WTG!
It's so nice to look at your garden when it is like that.

Mine is weed full and veggie free. Easier on the upkeep.
I haven't had to pull one vegetable from the weed bed yet.

How about the rest of you gardeners?

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:21 am   #5
Judy
Name: Judy
Central, Michigan USA
St. Johns

Smile Re: Give us your garden reports

My garden has done great. So far I have had cabbage, onions, peas, spinach, radishes, 2 green beans so far, and the first sweet corn I planted has tassled. Things really grew and then I had a spell where some of the plants kind of got droopy. Since the last rain they look better. Harold said it looked like when you spray, but he hadn't to kill weeds. So not sure what caused it. Have frozen peas and also picked some beets. Haven't eaten those yet. Mine isn't totally weed free but is close.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:18 pm   #6
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

mine is almost non-existent.a few squash and some green tomatoes,a short row of potatoes.strawberries are gone. 2 okra plants was all i could find.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:00 pm   #7
topdog377
Name: Craig
Southern, Ohio USA
Bainbridge

Corns growing slow , tomato's were doing good but think the blight is starting on them, watermeons doing good. pumpkins not good. gords and squash doing good. peppers ok .

Craig
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:15 am   #8
turbo
Name: Crystal
Northern, Michigan USA

Well, I gotta say that everyone that comes over to the house gets taken out to the garden. Except for the weeds!!! The garden is doing wonderful, corn didn't come up like it should have and the deer ate my green beans but we are using peppers and onions, tomatos are starting to ripen and there are alot of them, carrots are getting tall or something like that, lots of blooms on watermelon, cucks, and honeydew. And just a little tip for anyone with a greenhouse... plant tomatos in the floor. Worked awesome!!!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:40 am   #9
Mushmouth
Name: Borderline Lowl
Northern, Ohio usa
toledo

massive amounts of tomatoes ...the animals ate the rest

...Josh
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:12 am   #10
shroonthumper
Name: victor
Southern, Michigan USA
montgomery

Thumbs up Re: Give us your garden reports

mine did fair. The tomatos seemed to be slow and rotted fast unknown reason but a friend said it was some kind of fungus. I guess some kind of revenge for eating their cousins in the spring. cucumbers did very well even though i only made 24 pints of B&B pickles. most went wild and got to big to use. Now get a load of this I actualy had one plant that grew nothing but elbino cucumbers. I kid you not as white as snow from start to finish. Never seen any thing like it before. I saved seeds from a few to try and start a new variety. LOL peppers did average. My squash was the best ever. As was the birdhouse gourds 40 foot vines (WOW) produced 4 large gourds and 2 small ones. Beets and brussle sprouts did very poor. My assesment is that we had short rain fall and very hot temps. Then too much late rain. weather just never made the right connection in my area. I am pleased with what i got and can't wait to do it again in between morel hunting next year.

"THE WOODS ARE LOVELY DARK AND DEEP AND I HAVE MANY MORELS TO FIND BEFORE I SLEEP" .............