Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Prayer Forum - Special Requests Prayers for a good friend of mine.

Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:02 pm   #1
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Prayers for a good friend of mine.

A good friend of mine, Sean, recently had a kidney transplant after being on dialysis for many years. I talked to him last week and he was doing well.
Wednesday, he had severe cramps, but the doctor told him that was normal. The pain was so intense he went to the emergency room. It was found that he had a blocked colon and was flown to Ann Arbor from Paw Paw and is now at the U of M Hospital. He would have died had he not gone to the emergency room.
Last I heard, he was in the IC unit, still cut open, as doctors were waiting to see if they got all the blockage cleared up before stitching him back up.

He had a kidney transplant in 1994 after being on dialysis, but that kidney failed in 2005 and was removed, then survived a near-fatal head on collision after the vehicle he was riding in swerved to avoid hitting a deer, so he is definitely a survivor.

Please keep him in your prayers. Thank You.

Jeff O.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:03 pm   #2
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

Re: Prayers for a good friend of mine.

will keep him in my prayers.sounds like a cat with 9 lives.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:54 pm   #3
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Wow Jeff... he is a champion no matter what. Prayers for sure.

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:41 pm   #4
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Tough guy.....thoughts sent his way
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:20 pm   #5
RedWing1
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Prayers coming his way from me.

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:17 am   #6
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Tell him we're praying Jeff.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:38 am   #7
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

The man is a survior to say the least. I will say lots of prayers for him also.

Happy Morel Dreams!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:39 am   #8
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Since traffic was not on my side and I was late for the picnic, I decided to visit my friend in the hospital in Ann Arbor.
He is doing fine, though in a lot of pain.
I reported he was flown, but he was actually rushed in an Ambulance, 120 miles from Paw Paw to Ann Arbor, which he said was really painful because I-94 isn't the smoothest of roads, especially if you're in a lot of pain and feel every bump.

What happened was after his kidney transplant, some scar tissue grew and pinched off his intestine, and caused a blockage, which was the size of an orange before being drawn out. He was left cut open until Thursday when they were sure it was all out. He showed me his staples running from just below his chest down to his navel. He is going to be in the hospital until they are sure his digestive system is back working properly. He was not allowed to eat anything when I was there Saturday, and was hooked to an IV's with medicine and sodium and potassium solutions. He has a tube running through his nose, down his throat,and into his stomach to keep any blockages from occurring, but that will probably be removed tomorrow. He will hopefully be out of the hospital later this week. He says he'll call me when he's released.
Fortunately, his kidney is still okay, and he didn't have to have any of his intestines removed.

He can get up and walk around, but is still in a lot of pain and has a button he presses that gives him a shot of morphine if he needs it, or I should say when he needs it. He says the staples hurt more than the stitches did when he had the transplant.

I was there for several hours and we chatted and watched tv on the limited cable channels the hospital has. He was real bummed about having to stay in the hospital, and I told him how lucky he was to be able to get up and walk around, and that there a lot of people in that hospital in far worse shape than he is. I can imagine how he must feel, as he had just about recovered from his kidney transplant and was going to go back to work in a couple of weeks, now he has several more weeks of recovery to look forward to.

I just want to thank you all for remembering him in your prayers.

Jeff O.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:20 pm   #9
BikerDude
Enhanced Membership
Name: Jim
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Jeff,
His story reminds me of a friend of ours who has survived THREE airplane crashes (one in ocean) & hasn't had more than some cuts, scrapes & bruises to show for it. I saw him a couple months ago, & asked if he still flies. His wife was quick to answer "NO!"

Isn't it amazing how people like this are blessed? I believe God has a purpose for these folks; if nothing other than a testimony of his ability to protect.

Will continue to pray for a speedy recovery.

BikerDude.

Be Yourself. (Everyone else is taken!)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:42 pm   #10
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

If all goes well, he will be released from the hospital tomorrow or Sunday.
Thanks for your continuing prayers!

Jeff O.