Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Hunting stories.....lets hear some!
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:42 pm   #1
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Hunting stories.....lets hear some!

I was up deer hunting last weekend . We set a snare for coyotes. We got one, bit he chewed 13 trees from 1-3 inches and every bit of brush in a 9 foot area. Looked like.one of those freeway brush hogs for buzzsawing trees. He got away but is dragging a 4 foot trees 3 inches thick. Probably got away. No sign anywhere. What odd stuff gave you got? Ice got tons of stories,so this may be long as we bounce some stories around. Feel the season & brace it!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:33 am   #2
RedWing1
Name: Brandt
Southern, Michigan USA
Barry County

Re: Hunting stories.....lets hear some!

I went up to our property last weekend and my Dad set up a brush blind on a well used deer trail with a scrape right in front of him. I set up behind him a bit with my video camera. On Saturday morning at 8:40am, this guy came along. My dad is actually using a crossbow. I took the actual shot out of the video because my Dad feels that is a very sacred moment between that animal and the hunter, and we owe it to that animal not to relive that moment of it's death. I agree 100%. Just as the video fades out, you will see him stick his head out on the right of that tree in front of me. I could see the deer. I was holding the camera and had leaned way to the left to be able to see around the tree. The deer was working that scrape, and when he took that step forward with his closest front leg, Dad let the bolt fly at 18 yards. Hit him right behind the shoulder. The deer ran less than 20 yards and it was done. Beautiful 8pt. 152lbs dressed! Enjoy the video!!You will notice I was shaking pretty good. And if you turn up the sound, you will hear I'm breathing pretty heavy. I had more buck fever just recording that, than I do when I'm doing the actual hunting. It was the anticipation and not being the one in "control" of the situation. It was a moment my Dad and I will never forget!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I58kZkkjYEM

Brandt

Just when you think you aren't going to find any morels, something pushes you to climb that next hill. And once you get over that hill, guess what you find? That's right. NOTHING!
-Me explaining to my in-laws about morel hunting
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:26 pm   #3
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

great job brandt.a memory you will have forever and glad you shared with us.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:01 pm   #4
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I don't hunt anything but morels...but I do have a couple of fun memories!

About ten years ago, I got into the motherlode of greys. I was literally on my hands and knees crawling around a picking them. When all was said and done, I had found around 125 in an area about 10ft by 20ft.

Another memory was around 1986. I went up north with my family as a teenager and was going around with my mom morel hunting. We found bunches of yellows around ash trees. We went from ash tree to ash tree and wound up finding several grocery bags full. I haven't had that good of luck since then, unless you count the small greys from about 10 years ago. I just recently found an old photo with me and my morels when I was about 14 or so.

I also remember getting lost in the woods with my parents and some good samaritans drove us back to our motorhome in the woods...lol.
After that, we used a compass. (Yes...motorhome...we usually camped in the woods near the entrance of one of those two-track roads. My dad, a truck driver, managed to back it between trees without hitting them. I went back to one of these places and bumped a tree backing up in my old cavelier...lol. I wondered "How in the world did he back that motorhome in here.")

Jeff O.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:00 am   #5
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

That is awsome Brandt. I bet you dad will watch that video over and over thinking what a great son he has, and how much he enjoyed that hunt with you.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:52 am   #6
JonDaHighlander
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Nice video Brandt! Gonna gave to take a few soon. Can't wait.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:43 pm   #7
JonDaHighlander
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Skunked so far. (minimum 3 pt on a side area) maybe its the 7 coyotes that the neighbors & us got. Oh well....smokepole season soon.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:23 am   #8
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Having to enjoy the season through everyone elses success.Was out 3 times bow hunting and made it out for the opener of gun and thats it.Laid up with a bad left hip,will see what I MRI has to say later this week.Kev took an8,Stanley took an 8,my niece shot a 9 and Eric shot a 5pt.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:39 am   #9
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

good luck with the hip gary.better get it fixed soon cause morel season is just around the corner.although it may be a rather big corner.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:42 pm   #10
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Thanks Tom,if I have to have it replaced....it should be good to go by then...