Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Oklahoma hunting
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:58 am   #1
ShroomsNShamrocks
Name: Joel
Northern, Indiana USA
Wells County

Oklahoma hunting

All,

I know that this is MichiganMorels but there are people from all over and people that travel, so I'm looking for a little advice with regards to some hunting away from home.

Next week I will be in the Tulsa, OK and McAlester, OK area for business. I think that my timing might be pretty good for morels. Does anybody have experience hunting this area? I am just looking for any general tips such as trees or vegetation that might be known for morel production down there. I saw somewhere that areas near rivers down there produce well and I haven't necessarily seen that correlation in my Michigan hunting experience. I've even noticed a difference in my hunting strategy from Michigan to Indiana, so I figure that Oklahoma probably has some differences as well.

Anyway, any general tips for a first time hunt in Oklahoma would be appreciated.

-Joel

Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:46 pm   #2
ross
Name: ross
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

Re: Oklahoma hunting

I'm definitely no kind of expert on Oklahoma hunting, but I've spent way to many hours reading various mushroom boards from across the country. I've also heard that river and creek beds are best. Normal trees, dead elm and ash and also someone told me that sugar maples along the sides of the river are the places to look. Good luck, I think it will be prime time there.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:07 pm   #3
joe pohl
Name: Joe
Northern, Michigan usa
manistee

Ya just watch for the copper heads cotton mouths and rattlers they like them river beds and creeks moving water seems they like the frogs and little cat fish.. Not to scare you but just be aware of what your getting into .. I lived in north east texas for a while and i found many of these rascals while on the hunt, so brother watch your step and when you put your hand down to pick them well i used a walking stick and poked it around the shrooms before i picked them .those copper heads don't rattle they just just strike silent lil rascals good luck pohlcat
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:53 am   #4
ShroomsNShamrocks
Name: Joel
Northern, Indiana USA
Wells County

Thanks for the advice...although I've already returned from my trip. I didn't spend much time in the woods. You could see smoke all over in the hills when we were landing in Tulsa. And more when driving. And more on the local news. Extremely dry. Wild fire everywhere. A few big ones but a ton of little patches of it. Rivers and reservoir were extremely low.

Anyway, I was conscious of the possibility of snakes and was cautious. When I got tired of the dust and then saw a snake that I wasn't 100% sure on the ID, I got out of there. I figured I had a higher probability of running into something I didn't want to run into than into a morel. I see that people are finding them but they clearly know where they are going and I just picked the closest public land to my hotel and it did not seem like it was going to be fruitful.

Oh well, maybe I'll try again on a future trip down there. They'll be up here in NE Indiana soon enough and I'll blink again and the end of May and trip to the Northern LP will be here!

-Joel

Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!