Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Morel & false morel photo's Lapeer morel
Morel & false morel photo's Morels or False Morels photo's only.

Old Apr 26, 2011, 5:26 pm   #1
chevyguy81
Name: Nolan
Southern, Michigan USA
north branch

Lapeer morel

Made a post of first morels of the year with the same title under I Found some. So here they are. Small but well worth the walk.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1255.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	7205  
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:45 am   #2
hunterdave
Name: David
Southern, Michigan usa

Re: Lapeer morel

I wouldnt have even picked those, no offense, thats like shotting a yearling whitetail.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:06 pm   #3
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Yeah, that is a hard decision to make. You don't know where Dave looks for mushrooms so maybe it is a place that sees a lot of people.......if he waits too long, he takes a chance of someone else picking them and him losing out. There is always to sides to a coin, it is whether or not we decide to look at both sides.

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:36 am   #4
chevyguy81
Name: Nolan
Southern, Michigan USA
north branch

Well they don't get any bigger leaving them. tho it does help to spread the spores around. I've heard people say leave em so they get bigger but they don't tried that. I even tried the myth of setting a jar over them to make them bigger and that doesn't work either. They grow in 3-4 hours and that's as big as they will get. After hearing all the myths I went out and got a book on morels and read it cover to cover. My brother pick most of them I only found 2. I'm hoping to find bigger ones this weekend.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:22 am   #5
Sandman
Name: Greg
Central, Michigan USA

Hey, something is better than nothing in my book!
I might have let them go a few days and see if they got any bigger, however, I would be "P'ed" off if I came back and they were gone!

Ever hunt those woods surrounding the prison there? Bet those don't get hunted much! Just leave the sidearm and knives behind! lol

Greg
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:47 am   #6
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

The early season question of when to pick is always hard. Last Saturday I went to a county park and paid $3 admission. I found 9 grey morels all1/2"-1" near the playground. Leaving them meant risking them being found, trampled, or mowed. I left them since the park would be closed the next day for Easter and rain was forecast all day Monday. I went back Tuesday and found 6 had grown to 1 1/2"-2" and there were 2 more emerging. I plan on hitting it again this weekend. I hope the rest are still there, but I have more areas there that had not produced yet.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:32 am   #7
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

WTG chevyguy81 Nice find!

Hunterdave, doesn't veal taste good? LOL

Not picking on ya buddy, just kidding a bit.
I myself, have no problem picking smaller morels sometimes. If I think they will have a chance of growing safely, then I leave them to grow. If I'm in a heavily hunting area, I will collect them because the chanches of coming back to find them growing bigger is VERY small.

If we pick a small apple or a large apple, we've still picked the apple and haven't done a thing to hurt the tree. The only thing that changes is how much did we want a big apple. Same with mushrooms. They are the fruit.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:35 am   #8
hunterdave
Name: David
Southern, Michigan usa

Agreed Frank. Yearling whitetail is def. lean and tender. I still would leave them for someone else to enjoy,its simply good practice. Like passing up a 6 point on opening day,sure a bucks a buck,but taking him will eliminate one more possibility of taking a trophy later on.This is why most men have dinky scrub bucks hanging on there walls,no patience,or fore thought. I think that that book that told you they dont grow,throw it away. Ask Frank or John Maybrier or Chris Matherly Morels do indeed grow,and I have progressive pictures of a patch of yellows that can back this up. These guys are the Morel Authority to me. Buy a book written by Larry "the tree"Lonik, He was one of the greatest morel hunters of all time. RIP Larry. To sum it up, to each his own. I only stated that "I" wouldnt have picked them. I personally want to take my children to my favorite hunting grounds,and never "strip mine" an area. Think of the smile on your face when you stumble upon a 4" black at the local stateland, someone may have passed it up,and left it for you. Happy hunting you guys,and congrats on your finds. Good practice for me means my spot will never "dry out". God bless
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:11 am   #9
Fungus Freak
Name: john
Northern, Michigan USA
mancelona

My wife prefers the smaller ones, they fry up crisper than the large ones. I eat'em all. So I would say pick what you like to eat and to many that means all you can find. P.S. With gas at $4.21 in Gaylord I'm not makin two trips. LoL
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:14 pm   #10
ShroomsNShamrocks
Name: Joel
Northern, Indiana USA
Wells County

To pick or not to pick is, to me, a question that will never have a definitive answer. Many different scenarios out there and different opinions. I do a little of both, depending on many factors.

I do believe 100%, though, that mushrooms do grow over several days and, if the conditions are perfect, can even grow for over a week. There are certainly cases where they just stop growing or are already on the decline when you find them, so leaving them doesn't do you any good. But I've seen enough evidence over the years as well as some amazing time lapse videos on Youtube that show some amazing things on morel growth.

May is almost here, the annual trip north is near!!!

-Joel

Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!