Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Worst Shrooming trip EVER!!
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:23 pm   #1
shroomer
Name: Carie
Northern, Michigan USA
Mason County

Worst Shrooming trip EVER!!

We all love to tell about the good times but we dont really like to talk about the bad.So spill it! Mine was yesterday.My mom and i were fully aware of the rain and flood warnings and like some of you we have hunted in the rain before with enough luck that we thought we would roll the dice.We used to live 15 mins away from our spot,but now we are 1 hr 15 min away.We drove and drove along in the rain.We usually have 4 wheel drive trucks but now it's my second year taken out my 2002 ford minivan.So we drive alittle over a half mile down the 2track and came across a spot that was like a mud quick sand and got the van stuck up to the doors in mud.Had to walk back for help in the rain to a 80 yr old farmers house,walked back to the van,he tried with his tracktor for waay too long till i had to tell him to stop we need a wrecker.We were covered from head to toe and now the "road" was waayy worse.We walked far away to a family friends house and he called AAA told them he was with us and they sent a wrecker.Finally 7,8 hours later we were driving home.Muddy,wet,tired,hungry,de feated.And in the shining sun i might add.I wanted to have mushrooms steak,asparagus and a bottle of wine for dinner needless to say all i had was a bottle of wine...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:32 pm   #2
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Re: Worst Shrooming trip EVER!!

Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear of your bad day. I had a bad day last year. I grew up in an abusive home and disowned my family and hadn't seen them in a long while until one day shrooming last year as I was walking out of the woods. I ran into my mother and her daughter and they just walked past my wife and I like we were strangers. It sent my heart racing and for a few days it made me depressed and stressed to realize that my favorite mushroom spot that I had found was tainted by my family now.

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:00 pm   #3
shroomer
Name: Carie
Northern, Michigan USA
Mason County

Yeah that bad too,it's bad enough to get invaded by strangers in your sacred spot but "family" that don't deserve to be called family that's pretty sucky...I forgot to add to the story that after we got unstuck it took another hour to get farmer Wally's chain unsuck from under my van,and i would like to add that i really didn't come home completely empty handed,during all the spinning out my mom spotted a muddy head size beautiful pudding stone that got unearthed! So now i got a souvenir to remember this awesome day!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:02 pm   #4
Weioo
Name: Brandon
Southern, Michigan USA
Oakland County

Wow, both really crappy stories, lol. Mine sucks but isn't quite as bad:

Last year was my wife and I's first shrooming year. We found a couple down here in SW Oakland county, but it's tough pickins and very developed. We decided to go up north the weekend before Mother's Day. We went up Friday night and had forecasts in the low 40's. The next morning we wake up to 4" of snow on the ground.

We stayed at Schuss Mountain, at my in-laws "condo"(hotel room, lol), and had absolutely nothing left to do and didn't have the money to spend on pretty much anything. We had no spots to look and found nothing in the 3 hours we looked Friday evening in the COLD rain.

They don't even have cable TV up there so we decided to just come home that day, Saturday. The return home trip kinda turned into a road trip and we didn't want to come back down empty handed after all that. We decided to go out of our way and try to stop by Mesick and around the Manistee National Forest area in random spots, using the GPS/map on my iPhone to scout before exiting the freeway.

We spent a good 10 hours driving/morel hunting in various spots and never found a SINGLE morel. Nearly the entire weekend was a waste of gas and time. For this reason, I'm very hesitant to head up there again JUST to morel hunt. We still have no spots and if we came back empty-handed again, it would likely discourage me from ever going back up JUST for morels.

Some may think I'm crazy, I just think I'm passionate about the things I'm interested in. Right now, morels fall into that category of 'interest.'
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:20 pm   #5
koda136
Name: Mark
Northern, Indiana USA

Thinking back there have been times with no mushrooms found. Snow and rain. But never a worst trip ever. Time way is always good time.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:00 pm   #6
price1972
Name: mark
Central, Michigan USA
Linden

NEVER, EVER, let your buddy bring his dog along on a mushroom hunt. That is all I am going to say about that! Not a real "bright" animal!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:42 am   #7
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Weioo, Sorry to make last years trip with the 4 inches of snow into an even worse trip for you, but did you know that a lot of folks had their very best day of mushrooming that day? True. Those morels stuck out in the snow and could spot them a block away.

But just so I don't make you feel too bad about it, I missed out myself that day. I chickened out because I didn't have any boots or spare shoes with me. "I'm not going out in that chit" I told Debbie when we got up in the morning. I should've went anyway. LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:06 am   #8
IM2HAPPI
Name: Barb
Central, Michigan USA
Midland

That was a great day Frank hehehe
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:35 am   #9
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

OH RUB it IN Barb! LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:53 pm   #10
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

i loved it that day also.and i had to drive a long way just for the pleasure.lol