Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Everyone but me is finding them.
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 1, 2011, 9:46 am   #1
shannon82
Name: Shannon
Northern, Michigan USA
Hamilton

Everyone but me is finding them.

So people on all sides of me ( city wise) are finding them and bringing in between 50 and 200, and I keep finding nothing. I do have a place that does produce and when I went and checked, there was a few popped, I left them to grow and came back in 2 days....GONE! No shoe or boot prints anywhere to be found but lots and lots of deer tracks. I have been out 4 days in a row, looking everywhere, I have looked at every dead or dying elm I see, along with every other producing tree and nothing. I am getting so fusterated. What the heck am I doing wrong.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:06 am   #2
morchella
Name: Rima
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Rapids

Re: Everyone but me is finding them.

Don't be discouraged! For years a good haul for me was maybe one pound at the most. I was excited to get that much even when everyone was finding grocery bags full. Just look at Jon's avatar....you've gotta be kidding me!! I haven't found that many in my lifetime, BUT NOW I'm starting to find more and more. Just by luck I found a honey patch 4 years ago which produces every year without fail. I got lucky so just hang in there and I'm sure you'll find a mother load!!! Best wishes.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:07 pm   #3
ross
Name: ross
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

Don't get too frustrated, it is still early. Those finding morels so far have spots that produce early. I would guess that the majority of spots for greys and yellows in the southern part of the state and blacks in the north still have a good week before they are really producing. Early season hunting is rough. Except for one spot, I can hike for hours and come up empty. I just hope to find another one or two of these spots in the next few years, but know that it isn't likely when I'm trying to find new ground for early ones. Keep looking, but don't expect much for a little while yet and don't use up all of your motivation and gas money before the picking gets good. They are on their way and will be in your bag soon. Good luck
Old May 1, 2011, 6:57 pm   #4
MorelBelle
Name: Joanne
Southern, Michigan USA
Belleville/Wellston

Hang in there Shannon. You are not alone. I have yet to find a single morel this season eventually I will and so will you. As many have said, this is the early part of the season. Best wishes and I look forward to your first, second, third, fourth...etc. finds.

"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness".
-John Muir-
Old May 1, 2011, 8:06 pm   #5
shannon82
Name: Shannon
Northern, Michigan USA
Hamilton

Well I decided I would go out for a bit today and find a spot I haven't been yet. I walked around for about an hour and figured I would just admit to myself that its too early for this area. On the way back to my car I heard what I thought to be something moving in the woods (just wind) when I turned around to see, I tripped over my own foot and went face first into the leaves. Ha Ha Ha you can laugh because I was too. As I was getting up I noticed something and took a better look, Yup it was a morel, as my eyes started scanning another, another and another....They are all no bigger than my thumbnail, so I left them to grow. I am now keeping my finger's crossed that someone else don't look at this wood area and say huh that looks like a good spot...Thanks everyone
Old May 1, 2011, 8:34 pm   #6
Peters
Name: Ted
Northern, Michigan USA
Afton

Me and teddy found three hope this week is better.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:26 pm   #7
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

Shannon,most of the ones up here are very small so look small.Cruise the net and look at some of the ones people have been picking,they are the size of your pinky fingernail.Your time is coming good luck and look small..