Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion I need help with Pheasant Backs please
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 8, 2011, 9:43 pm   #1
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

I need help with Pheasant Backs please

I need to know if I can eat the whole thing or not and if there is much of a risk with these things. What is the best way to cook them and the whole general and specific things you can think of about these please. I did do some reading on them and I am almost 100% sure that these are the right ones as I compared them to descriptions and pictures. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ranger

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:20 pm   #2
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: I need help with Pheasant Backs please

JF, if the caps are about the size of a 12 oz beer can, then the whole thing except the stem is edible, if they are large, take a sharp knife and press lightly into the outer edge of the cap,when you feel resistance stop!! Pull the knife back about a 1/4 inch and slice the length of the cap, that will be edible,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old May 8, 2011, 10:53 pm   #3
jeepfreak
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Thanks Mike, when you say take a knife and press lightly into the outer edge do you mean from the top or directly into the side like a fillet? And when you say cut that part off do you mean cut off (for example) the outer 2 inches of the polyspore or just fillet the top layer off and not use the underside?

Old May 8, 2011, 11:37 pm   #4
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Directly into the side, when you feel resistance, pull the knife back and cut off that flesh around the outer circumfrence of the cap, that will all be edible, no need to skin or filet the rest of it,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old May 8, 2011, 11:48 pm   #5
jeepfreak
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Thanks, got it now :) What ways do you recommend on cooking them? What is the taste like? We usually cook morels in butter and flower or saute them with steak but I am unsure of these.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of........like are there a lot of people who cannot eat these or should we only eat so many of them?

I know the rule of just trying a little bit to check for a reaction and stuff but I just didn't know if there was anything else we needed to be aware of that I didn't find in my research.

Old May 9, 2011, 4:51 pm   #6
Weioo
Name: Brandon
Southern, Michigan USA
Oakland County

My wife and I seem to run into pheasant backs often. I had no idea they were edible, nor did I know what they were exactly until I just googled it, lol.

How are they in flavor compared to morels?

Some may think I'm crazy, I just think I'm passionate about the things I'm interested in. Right now, morels fall into that category of 'interest.'
Old May 11, 2011, 8:10 am   #7
Len
Name: Len
Southern, Michigan USA
Oak Park

"Edible" is a relative term. They are not poisonous, but few people can chew 'em! I've selected very young, fresh ones and sauteed strips in butter - couldn't be chewed, tasted like butter. Exasperated, I pressure-cooked the SOB's. Those test samples now hold up several shelves in my garage - They take 20 penny nails very well.
Old May 11, 2011, 5:07 pm   #8
Weioo
Name: Brandon
Southern, Michigan USA
Oakland County

LOL Len, thanks for the heads up. :)

Some may think I'm crazy, I just think I'm passionate about the things I'm interested in. Right now, morels fall into that category of 'interest.'
Old May 11, 2011, 6:59 pm   #9
jeepfreak
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Don't listen to everyone that says idible is a relative term. If you know what you are doing then these thing really are good. I cooked them up and thought they were awesome and were nice and tender. They were not chewy at all and had a nice mild flavor. I think they get a bad rap because some people do not know how to prepare them because mine were great. My grandmother could have eaten them without her teeth