Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Mesick, Boyne, or Atlanta this weekend?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 11, 2011, 5:22 pm   #1
Weioo
Name: Brandon
Southern, Michigan USA
Oakland County

Mesick, Boyne, or Atlanta this weekend?

The reports are looking super-good for shrooms this weekend. I think my wife and I will be heading up to one of the above mentioned areas, after work on Friday night. However, I have a few questions to determine where we stay/hunt...

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice here, whether a PM or a response here. We simply cannot come back empty-handed and waste another trip up. We need to find at least a couple dozen! The gas prices are too high and our moral is too low to fail the way we did last year (went up early May, the weekend is SNOWED 3"+ and weather reports failed us!)

I'd be very appreciative of any info on the best general locations to look come this weekend.

Mesick, Boyne, or Atlanta?
Would it matter which location we went to? My father in law has a place in Atlanta and it's free to stay. Dirt bikes are available for quick hunting in this area. Would it be a big difference between mushroom pops at boyne/mesick versus Atlanta? Since it's not on the west coast and all? Or does all the weather that passes through Boyne, hit Atlanta and provide the same results?

Blacks or Grays/Whites?

Considering the weather forecasts hold, should I really be focusing on blacks while up there this weekend?
Are blacks coming too close to the end of the season?
Will I have any chance at finding decent-sized whites this weekend or too early that far north?

We've never really hunted black morels much. We have down here thus far this year but have only found one.

Thanks everyone!

Some may think I'm crazy, I just think I'm passionate about the things I'm interested in. Right now, morels fall into that category of 'interest.'
Old May 12, 2011, 10:29 pm   #2
diane
Name: Lisa
Northern, Michigan USA
Petoskey

Re: Mesick, Boyne, or Atlanta this weekend?

i think the blacks are still coming on, another week or so for the whites
Old May 12, 2011, 10:56 pm   #3
ross
Name: ross
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

festival in Boyne this weekend, woods will be packed. Reports of lots of blacks in the aspen and fresh blacks and baby greys in the ash.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:15 am   #4
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Weioo, I don't know about Mesick, but Boyne to Atlanta is just now kicking in finally. They had pretty good rains and warm days to kick start the black morels. Over 80 today but supposed to cool down to mid 60's to 70 degrees the next few days. Talked with some people up that way today and they are starting to get some size on the morels.

If I was you I would go with the free lodging and dirt bikes. Can't beat that with a stick. Atlanta should do you good. Good luck to you!

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old May 13, 2011, 10:08 am   #5
Weioo
Southern, Michigan USA
Oakland County

Thanks for the advice Frank! I've also got a tip from a forum member on a rather specific location that's just 10 minutes from Atlanta. However, you never know if you're being sent on a wild goose chase or not! ;)

We're debating even going up now. AMAZINGLY, we found over 100 half frees and a dozen whites last night!!!! Our LARGEST find EVER, by FAR!!!!! The forest was SWELTERING yesterday evening though, and the bugs have gotten BAD down here and multiple T-storms and 75+ degree days, lol.

Some may think I'm crazy, I just think I'm passionate about the things I'm interested in. Right now, morels fall into that category of 'interest.'
Old May 13, 2011, 10:30 am   #6
walker
Name: FRANK
Northern, Michigan USA
mesic

Smile Re: Mesick, Boyne, or Atlanta this weekend?

We found 55 good size yesterday in mesick we also had a 86 degree day with a lot of rain the day before and 3/4" of rain last knight hope
this helps. By the way they were black moreles.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:26 pm   #7
Weioo
Southern, Michigan USA
Oakland County

Ugh, something just came up and we have to cancel last second. :(

I guess next weekend will have to do, and I'm taking Friday off to go up a day early, darn it!!!

I guess we will be missing the blacks come next weekend? Is the Atlanta area good for white/grays as well?

Old May 14, 2011, 1:56 pm   #8
ross
Name: ross
Central, Michigan USA
spring lake

Blacks will still be up next weekend in that area as there are thousands of little fresh ones about. Only got to spend a few hours in the woods of Gaylord yesterday and picked a hefty back of fresh blacks. You can definitely find yellows in the same woods they will primarily grow around ash trees.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:13 am   #9
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

That area is good for all Weioo. Black Grays and yellows.
Good luck my friend.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here