Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Turkey & Deer
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 15, 2011, 9:25 am   #1
piperchar
Name: Char
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

Turkey & Deer

I just finished watching a video on YouTube of a guy who was picking morels. First of all, he was putting them in a plastic bag, which told me that he really didn't know what he was doing. Secondly, he said that you have to go out every day, since they pop up overnight (wrong) but then, he said that wild turkey and deer love morels, and that makes them hard to find. I take objection to this. It seems that if deer and turkey ate morels, we would never find one. How about it?? Do deer and wild turkey eat morels??
Old May 15, 2011, 1:14 pm   #2
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Turkey & Deer

In my opinion, they do not, turkeys can make a mess of a morel spot, by scratching the leaves up off the floor of the forest looking for insects, last years seeds, acorns etc ,I can tell you through personal experience, I can't remember how many I have found that deer step on when they are cutting through a morel area, found em crushed into hoove prints many times.
I do know as fact that squirrels, woodchucks, gophers etc, do eat shrooms, and so do box turtles,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old May 15, 2011, 1:29 pm   #3
piperchar
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

We have a lot of wild turkeys which visit our yard from fall to spring. Their scratching does indeed make a mess of the surroundings. I cannot imagine deer eating morels. They would devour the forest every night. Just goes to show you that there is a lot of misinformation out there. When I saw the guy on YouTube putting these large morels (which he called "silver morels") in a plastic bag, I wanted to reach out and choke him.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:52 pm   #4
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

Well, from what I have read from actual people who study mushrooms for a living and such, morels do not let go of their spores until a few days after they sprout. Just because a person has a plastic bad, does not mean they are a novice. I pick up whatever is closest to me and I have been picking for over 25 years in the same area and it seems they have been mroe prevalant than years ago. People can argue both sides so don't be so quick to judge.

I have seen one deer eat the top of a morel once while turkey hunting and it didn't eat any more of them so my guess is that it was just taste testing ro something because that is all it did was nip the top and walked on.

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:35 pm   #5
piperchar
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Blanc

I agree, if I'm out and all I have is a plastic bag, I will use it, but for someone who claims to be a seasoned morel hunter, and who is posting an instructional video on YouTube, I would think that he would use mesh, paper, or a basket. The high water content of morels causes them to rot quickly when they cannot breathe in plastic. I always carry extra orange and onion bags in my pocket, and if I see someone in the woods carrying them in plastic, I offer a mesh bag to them, and tell them why plastic is not desirable. I have never had anyone turn me down, and have handed out quite a few. I usually find that they are novice hunters, and are eager to get knowledge from those of us who are seasoned.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:14 pm   #6
Justapickin
Name: Gary
Northern, Michigan USA

I find a lot of blacks in active deer runs and they do step on them.I'm sure if a deer was grazing around and chomped one,it would'nt spit it out but don't believe for sure that they seek them out.I've watched squirrels eat several varieties of mushrooms.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:24 pm   #7
jeepfreak
Name: Ranger
Southern, Michigan USA
Tuscola

I try to use mesh bags when they are available out of pure chance that they could spread spores. I am not mushroom expert but I do know of a few in the field and read their work, it helps when trying to understand them.....if that is possible lol. The rotting part does suck especially while walking a long time and it is pretty warm out.

Evil is the presence of neophytes who learn through osmosis.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:52 am   #8
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Miker, I will attest to the fact that squirrels will seek out and eat mushrooms. Remember back a few year ago when I told the story about seeing a flash of yellow going straight up a pine tree outside my back door? That darned red squirrel had made off with about 10 of my Chanterelles that I had drying on a screen outside. LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here