Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Mesick area is going well
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 18, 2011, 10:07 am   #1
walker
Name: FRANK
Northern, Michigan USA
mesic

Mesick area is going well

It has been a strange year but we are finding good numbers finally.
Found 6.27 pounds of blacks and the whites are starting they are small.
The biggest so far is 4" for us and number wise 19. The weather has been strange we had a little rain last night hope fully that will help with the size today.I will let you know how it goes.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:15 pm   #2
tazdevil
Name: steve
Southern, Michigan usa

Re: Mesick area is going well

Keep up the reports please we only got a couple pounds last sunday but my areas are best for greys and yellows.we were thinking of going this weekend but I think the following weekend will be the best as temps aren't getting quite high enough for long enough.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:42 am   #3
walker
Northern, Michigan USA
mesic

Up date went out yesterday found 11 more white morels as soon as the weather cooperates it will get better. It is very crazy this year we are still finding black and gray along with the whites this is a first for us.
Has any one else ran across this before?By the way as far as the black and grays go we found only48 combined yesterday and some of them were starting to dry out.We are getting rain today they say and scattered rain the next few days that with some good sun and it will get crazy up here i hope. We are having the best year we have ever had.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:36 am   #4
ShroomsNShamrocks
Name: Joel
Northern, Indiana USA
Wells County

If we are finding yellows, we find blacks. Except in the rare years that the season is early and we are way too late and we find the very tail end of yellows. But for the most part if we are finding fresh/prime yellows, we are also finding blacks. Sometimes we get a very good overlap, which is always great. Even if people say that the blacks are done, it seems like we always find a few handfuls of very nice blacks with our solid yellows.

We are further north than you so I don't know how well that translates from location to location or even woods to woods. Almost every year we find the 4 primary types of mushrooms, verpas (don't pick), half-frees, blacks, and yellows. It just depends on the season which of those are more prevalent.

Good to hear that things are progressing there. I see some rain in the forecast for our area and just hope that the temps are just a bit higher than the forecast for next weekend while we're up there.

Keep finding them, everybody!

-Joel

Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!
Old May 20, 2011, 9:56 am   #5
walker
Northern, Michigan USA
mesic

Thanks for the info on finding all types together.As far as the yellows in mesick we are still finding them in small amounts we have the rain
but we need the sun.We are eating well still but we are not finding a bunch of yellows to dry yet.if the sun pops out this weekend it will be good.GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:40 am   #6
walker
Northern, Michigan USA
mesic

Icon16 Re: Mesick area is going well

Well i don't know about the rest of you but we are doing very well.We are finding good numbers of grays and yellows. We had a hot week end
with rain last night. I hope this week will even be better the yellows are HUGE AND THE GRAYS TO just wanted to let you know how the area of mesick is doing we are cookingGOOD LUCK TO ALL
Old May 24, 2011, 8:07 pm   #7
tazdevil
Southern, Michigan usa

Good report we will be back this weekend only found a pound of greys last saturday.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:29 am   #8
walker
Northern, Michigan USA
mesic

We are still finding yellows real good size ones but not a lot we only found 24 yesterday we had a frost this morning hopefully this wont stop them keep on cooking and happy memorial week end
good luck to all.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:12 pm   #9
oldgander
Name: john
Central, Ohio USA
canton

is it comming to the end of the season? will it still be ok this weekend/
Old May 30, 2011, 6:14 pm   #10
tazdevil
Southern, Michigan usa

Just got back and the season is about over we found 15 pounds of big yellows by walking lots and getting one to a tree most of the time but they were all 3 to 5 inches.All were found on northeast and northwest sides of hills and everything was getting too green and some areas already dead.I wouldn't go again as we put in tons of walking the hills to get what we got between three of us an I gave up at the end.