Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Prayer Forum - Special Requests Got a praise...

Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:13 pm   #1
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Got a praise...

I am THANKFUL that I'm alive and not hurt.

On my way to work this morning, 5:30am, I was on my motorcycle and hit a manhole cover that was laying on the pavement next to it's hole. I had enough time to react, not think. I knew I had a car in the lane next to and behind me, if I hit the curb I'd likely gotten thrown into a telephone pole right there, and if I'd hit the hole the bike would have flipped and vaulted me down the road. I hit the cover which in short order did still almost vault me but by the grace of God managed to stay on, regain control and limp it into a nearby parking lot. I strained my shoulder, split the nail on my right big toe (from where the cover hit it), my back and abdomen are a bit sore from the launch and subsequent landing on the gas tank, and there are "other sore parts" of me from when I landed and straddled the lower section of the gas tank. I busted various things off the bike underneath including a bolt and piece of engine from where oil is leaking. The bike won't turn over so I don't know if it is seized or if it is just the starter. Fact is, I'm ok, sore, but ok. And that is what matters.

Praise God it wasn't worse...

NOW - I've filed a claim with the insurance whom said since it was a single vehicle accident I have to be listed at fault. This, to say the least, is burning me up. It will likely end up being a mess with them... so, I'll throw in a prayer request there. I have to haul the bike somewhere to get an estimate even before the adjustor will come look at it. So, I've got to find a place that will do it...

Very thankful...

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:10 pm   #2
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

Re: Got a praise...

praise god indeed vance.glad you werent hurt much worse.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:00 am   #3
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Doesn't sound like fun Vance.
But it does sound like you are aware of things around you. Who or what is on your left, right, back etc. Good job!

Now if we could get you to see the manhole covers popped off, you'd be all set. ( Just teasing buddy.) Very glad you are okay except for the minor pains and bruises.

As I often tell Debbie and others, a persons life and others around them can change, or end, in a split second when driving. Even when you are doing all the right things. But your chances of minimizing the damage comes from being aware of your surrounding at all times. Your account proves that.

Hope you heal quickly Vance.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:27 am   #4
Debbie
Hostess
Name: Debbie
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Wow Vance that is amazing that you didn't get hurt so much worse. Like Frank said, the ability to react depends on your 'situational awareness' and it sounds like you have it in spades. You were surely Blessed by God. I hope you feel better quickly and that all goes smoother with your insurance.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:41 am   #5
BikerDude
Enhanced Membership
Name: Jim
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Vance,

I'm glad to hear it wasn't much worse. Sounds like you made the right,split-second decisions. As a motorcyclist, always being totally aware of whats around or behind you will save you life many times over.

Isn't it kind of wild how you have the "mental quickness" to make those types of decisions in circumstances like that, but can take 30 seconds or more deciding what kind of salad dressing we'd like to have. lol

Good luck w/your bike & ins. Co.
Don't forget the city/township has liability in your case. A friend of mine recently experienced a similar thing on bicycle & got a settlement from the city.

BikerDude.

Be Yourself. (Everyone else is taken!)
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:44 am   #6
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Jim... as long as there is bleu cheese on the table... no worries. LOL

As far as the other, I haven't decided. Wait and see.

Thanks everyone - the adjustor called me and conducted an interview and has decided I will not be listed at fault which makes me happy. I dropped the bike off, Friday, at the shop and he was pretty certain it will be totalled which is a bummer. Cosmetically the bike still isn't in bad shape but he suspects the motor seized up in it - possibly bent somthing inside... he will get back to me more within the next day or two. So, I won't be getting her back.

This all bums me out but, more importantly, it doesn't escape me that I came out of this fairly unscathed. The bike, material in the end... me, I can't order replacement parts for me from JC Whitney... yet...

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.