Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Are your tomato late this year?
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Sep 4, 2011, 6:36 am   #1
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Are your tomato late this year?

I've gone to 3 markets so far and have yet found any michigan grown tomatoes worth canning. And the non-Michigan ones were WAY overpriced. At least doubled or more. The only ones I found to be priced normally at $7.00 half bushel, looked like end of the year tomatoes. Very poor shape with large cracks ready to rot. I passed on them. I also passed on the $17.00 half bushel ones from out of state. LOL

I'm bummed because this upcoming week is cooler temps and perfect for canning. With my luck, when the markets finally get in decent canning tomatoes, the weather will be in the 90's again. LOL

I'm just curious if your gardens are running late on tomato ripening this year as well.

Only thing I can think of, is maybe the cold spring and very hot summer must have played havoc with blossoms & fruit setting.

Your thought and comments?

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:56 pm   #2
picker
Name: Roger
Southern, Michigan USA
Redford

Re: Are your tomato late this year?

Frank, my tomatoes that are growing behind the house are doing awesome. They get 4-5 hrs. of full sun. Rest of the day full shade. Beans in the same area are also doing great.Beans in full day of sun are not doing so well. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:54 am   #3
luckyshroomer
Name: Brian
Southern, Michigan usa

Hi Frank,
I HAD more than I can use out of 10 plants (Heirloom varieties) .
The year was a wet and windy one which split a lot of them and blighted the plants. The season is winding down.
Let me know if you would want some Heirloom tomato plants next late winter. I plant seeds that I order online in my greenhouse and usually give away over 20 plants 12' high by the time they are ready to plant.
luckyshroomer....Brian

praying for Debbie too !
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:09 pm   #4
whitebeard
Name: Jim
Southern, Ontario Canada
London

That is a great offer!! If I were closer I'd be on your doorstep next May!!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:29 am   #5
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

picker, thanks for your reply. They seem to be a couple of weeks behind here. The ones that are normal priced ($7 to $8) per half bu. seem to be of poor quality and you would lose half of them cutting out the bad spots, raising the price effectivally to $14 a bu. But the one that are at 14 or 15 per half, seem to be out of state flavorless tomatoes.

But... My dear sweet sister (Gammadee) found some for us and the guy will reserve them for us. Going to pick up a bushel and a half on Sat. They are $12 per 1/2, but it will get me started. Price should drop a bit by next week as more ripen in the fields up here. I'm hoping anyway.

Luckyshroomer, I may take you up on that offer. Sometimes Debbie usually has a food show in Novi or Detroit in the spring. Maybe she could pick up a couple or 3 from you depending on how far from I-75 you live.. We'll see.

Miker has also offered some heirloom seeds to me as well.
I appreciate both your offers.

Frank

Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:17 am   #6
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Well we finally got some tomatoes. But it wasn't easy. It's been a bad year here locally.

My Sis Donna bought a bushel from a guy at the farmers market in Midland and asked if he would reserve 5 bushels for us the following week. He said yes. She asked if we had to be there very early or if 9:30 to 10:30 was okay. He said no problem, I will save them for you.

So... Deb and Donna show up about 9: 00 and lo and behold no tomatoes left. But... but... we had them reserved!
Yeah, but people kept wanting to buy them, so I sold them.

Needless to say there was a couple of PO'd women went around the market telling everyone they spoke with, not to trust that particular guy. LOL

So Donna bought the last bushel from another lady and asked if she could reserve more for the next week.

No, was the reply. You'll have to be here at 7:00 AM in order to have a chance at 4 or 5 bushels. At least she was honest.

And so Deb came home with two bushels this Wed. They cost 12.00 a bushel. But they were already rotting. I've been canning quick as I could the same day, but still ended up tossing almost 3/4 bushel, or more, out, between rotten ones & cutting out bad spots and woody spots from those left. So I ended up with about 1 1/4 usable bushels. Bringing up the effective price to about 19.00 a bushel or more. Not to mention the extra work involved.

I canned 1/2 bu or so, Wed night and got 10 qt of tomatoes. Had to make the rest into Juice today and will get probably 15 - 18 qt of that tomorrow when I finish processing it.

I went to Mt Pleasant market today, Thur, (well, yesterday now) and bought 1 & 1/2 bu of good sized MI grown tomatoes @ $22.00 per bu, that are clean and rot free. Also cut one up and no hard parts, no long cores, and they tasted great too. So I will can those up as tomatoes.

Depending on the freeze/frost tonight and tomorrow, I may or may not be canning more tomatoes. Hopefully it will be lighter and expected and we can get some more good maters.

The REALLY bad news is... I haven't canned a single jar of salsa this year yet!
And it ain't looking good. If I'm lucky, I may get a 1/2 bu of salsa canned just for our own use.

I think we are going to be short on tomatoes, juice and salsa here this year. I dread making sauces with store canned tomatoes. Just no flavor.

Talked with the lady I bought from yesterday, about the season.
Her opinion was cold wet spring, late planting, and a bad year for blight for most people as well very hot and dry later.

I believe the blight is the major cause, because a guy down the road who ALWAYS has a terrific home garden, tomato plants looked like they had a killing frost a month and a half ago.

Frank

Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:23 am   #7
Mushroom Jack
Name: Jack
Northern, Michigan USA
Lewiston

Boy Frank, the tomatoes are really hard to find up here in Lewiston too. We drove all over the county yesterday, looking for some and came home with one small container of under ripe ones. Guess we'll have to stick to the over abundant crop of mushrooms this year. I'm packing away the dried Armillariella mellea's now . They're everywhere, nice fresh buttons and freshly opened caps. Real meaty too !! Jazmin really loves " Shroom'n " with her Grampa !! She's turning into quit a " Mushroom Nut " Ha ! Ha !

Tip of the " Mushroom Cap " to ya's !!!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:06 am   #8
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

good luck trying to find any more fresh ones in any quantity up there Jack, after freezing temps for two nights.

Tomatoes that is...

Frank

Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:32 pm   #9
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Was bad here for blight too, but wound up with enough to can30 jars of tomato sauce, and 21 jars of stewed, probably threw out at least 5 bushels from blight,mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:36 am   #10
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Wow miker!

50 quarts of tomatoes for you, is almost like not canning any 'maters at all. LOL
You must have been bummed about that loss this year. I know I would be. Sorry to hear that bro'.

Glad to hear in another thread, that the rest of your garden went gangbusters and kept you busy though.

Frank