Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Other Type Mushroom photo's Got my hens
Other Type Mushroom photo's Post only if your'e sure which mushroom it is.

Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:07 pm   #1
tkcenterline
Name: Ted
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Got my hens

I had a great time in the forest with my Son Sharidan. We came across a huge old Oak that gave us her Hens. Thank you Mother Nature.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111002-00029.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	7720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111003-00034.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemont-20111002-00014.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	7723  

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:17 am   #2
bluefinn
Enhanced Membership
Name: Rick
Northern, Ohio usa

Re: Got my hens

Very nice haul. I always keep saying, it only takes one tree to make your day. Now I got to find me one.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:23 am   #3
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Rick, your're right about that saying. I remember, when I was a kid going hunting with my Dad. He found a 40 LB hen. I believe as time went by it weighted almost 60# plus. One time, I found Two full bushel baskets of Honeys at one tree.

Take time to feel the ground below your feet and stay connected to the Earth. Remember, If you eat the wrong mushroom, you'll be part of the earth, in lieu of connected to the earth. Ted
Old Oct 10, 2011, 1:07 pm   #4
beastybird
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

I think you should share the recipe
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:31 pm   #5
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

Mary:

I believe it is the same old cream of Mushroom soup recipe. First I clean and chop up the hen, fry up 1/3 # bacon in bits, remove the crisp bacon, Add a 1/4 stick of butter to the bacon drippings, slice up a large whole sweet onion (very thin), add chopped garlic, fry and sweat onion/garlic until golden brown (watch and do not burn the garlic), add the chopped hen pieces and fry & mix it all together until soft and brown, add seasonings: salt, black pepper. garlic power, sweet basil, onion powder, parsley, smoked paprika, Add more butter, add back the bacon bits, add some instant potatoes (to thicken the soup if you like) and keep stirring the mixture on simmer. This mushroom mixture is the base for the soup. Then I add to the mushroom mixture a quart or so of good beef broth. Mix together in a separte bowl some heavy cream or milk with in a full package of cream cheese or sour cream. I have added cornstarch to the cream mixture in lieu of the instant potatoes at this point. Then slowly temper in the cream chreese/sour cream mixture to the soup broth. I like to add a whole bay leave to my soap at this point. After you add in the cream cheese or sour cream mixture remember not to boil the soup. You have to just keep it warm. After I serve the soup I shaved some asiago cheese on top. Add some dark rye bread and butter, So there you have it. Note my dad added the instant potatoes. I always added the cornstarch in lieu of the potatoes. Also, I have used Sour Cream in lieu of cream cheese. I think the soup is more creamy this way? Enjoy!!

Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:57 pm   #6
beastybird
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

Re: Got my hens I wish

this has been a terrible year in SE Wisconsin for hens I am ready to pack up and move to either MI or Ohio--you guys seam to have all the hens this year, last yr by this time I had picked over 200 hens, this year I have picked 11 and took plenty of walking to find those last year they were everyplace you looked most of the spots I have that have produced every year never even popped a baby I will keep checking them but don't think I'll find too many but blewits have started
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:51 pm   #7
fshemall
Name: gary
Southern, Wisconsin USA
Franklin

Mary, I totally agree with you about the situation in SE Wisconsin and hens this year. I found one and it was not in good condition. I did find a half bushel of oysters last Sunday though. Do you think we may have a chance yet this year with some more rain? Also if you don't mind sharing what kind of terrain or trees host Blewits?

Gary( your part time lobster partner)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:21 am   #8
beastybird
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

Gary blewits love oak leaf duff and I heard you can find them in pines another thing you can do when/if you find them take the parts you cut off and scatter them in some leaf duff or pine needles (if there is any in your yard or close to you) Blewits will grow into December just make sure the spore print is a peach,salmon, pinkish color and NOT brown or choc brown if brown or ch brown you have corts you should still have my # so if you want I have a spot I have been picking blewits from for about 2 weeks I would share with you just give me a call I'm still off work so I am free just about anytime
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:53 pm   #9
tkcenterline
Northern, Illinois usa
Homer Glen, IL

The Hens where awesome this year. After cleaning them, I had 9 gal bags full of hens. I made soup and froze some. I made beer batter, fried them and ate most. Then with the remaining four bags, I dehyrated them to get 2 stuffed Gal bags full of dried Hens. I have never dryed out hens with a dehydrater before. So, I hope they turn out. I was told to add whole basil leaves to the bags to keep them longer?

Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:26 am   #10
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Good job on the hens Ted!

Never heard of basil to keep mushrooms longer.
But I have always spread Bay Leaves around the cupboards and counters and out of the way places to cut down on various bugs in the house. So I did a search and found this link on 7 herbs that repel bugs. Guess what? Basil is one of them.

I would only use dried basil or bay leaves before putting them into your storage containers. You don't want any moisture in there.

A few years ago I lost several bags of mushrooms, that seemed to have had insect eggs in them, and when I went to use them I had a bunch of tiny moths or flies in the bags. Can't remember now which type of mushroom it was.

After you now nudging my memory, I guess all my mushrooms are going to be herb flavored even before re-hydrating and cooking. LOL

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here