Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > GARDENING + info & links Trying to plan garden - need opinions.
GARDENING + info & links Grab an hoe and start digging for info.

Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:59 am   #1
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Trying to plan garden - need opinions.

A couple of question on my garden planning.

If I do just a two year rotation, switching top 6 rows with bottom 6 rows each year, be good enough to eliminate the problems with planting same crops in same location over and over. Or should I till another plot and do a 4 year rotation, end to end and plot to plot?

Also I've tried to follow somewhat companion planting. Yes I know that carrots grown with tomatoes will be smaller.
But overall, are there any glaring problems you can spot?

OR..... am I just over thinking it all?
Interested in your opinions and experiences.

Top is East and bottom is West
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	garden.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	7778  

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:01 am   #2
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: Trying to plan garden - need opinions.

If you have trouble reading the plants in the pic, just ask and I will tell you what it is. It seems to be a little blurry.

Frank

Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:42 pm   #3
beastybird
Name: Mary
Southern, Wisconsin usa
milwaukee

Frank
are you planning or opening a stand to sell the extra sage and rosemary from the 27 ft rows of them? Even if its a bad growing season you might have to build an addition on house to store all of it . I would maybe plant a few plants of each and a selection of other herbs you use and if your planing pickling cukes run them up a fence saves space, keeps them nice and clean and easy to harvest and plant some dill to use for pickling just do a second planting a few weeks later or you will have tons of pickles and no fresh dill (you can freeze dill to use in pickles) Just my humble opinion
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:38 pm   #4
miker
Name: Mike
Southern, Michigan USA

Frank, I'll talk to you soon here about rotation of crops mike

I've been accused of the things, I've said
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:17 am   #5
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Mary, that is only 7 plants per row and the actual planting area is 21' long. The 27' is overall including unused border.

I grew 3 or 4 sage plants up in Gaylord and only gave away part of it and still ran out before they were ready to harvest again the next year. I like to share my garden with family and friends, so 7 sage plants seemed about right.

Rosemary, I'm not experienced with, so was just guessing on how many I would need. Maybe I should just put in 5 sage and 2 rosemary in a single row?

Dill I have planned, and am going to try training cukes on the corn rather than a fence. Tho I have to agree with you the easy and clean harvest of cukes from fence. Done that years ago. But now I would have to buy fencing.

Miker: I'm looking forward to your ideas too.

Frank

Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:39 pm   #6
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

Frank, looking at your graph, half of your garden will be tomatoes, so you could rotate by half and half method, which is move your tomatoes from one end to the other end each year, you should be able to do this for 4 years before the soil will be needed to be amended with fertilizers.
Another option would be to split your tomato patch into 2 areas, which would increase your rotational area"s, say if your garden was divided into 6 parts, your tomatoes would be planted the first year in sections 1 & 6, the next year you would plant them in the sections2 & 5, then the next year in sections 3 & 4, then start the whole process over the 4th year.
Now I've noticed you want to grow garlic, soft neck garlics are your long storage types and they are basically a 2 year crop, so you want to put them some place in the garden that will not be effected by rotation. They have to stay in the same place for 2 years, so a fenceline of the garden is your best bet, thus hampering a little of your rotational ability.
On onions, I noticed you want to grow them also, remember onions only need 8 inches of growth room for straight row, and 12 inches apart in rows, so you can increase the amount of your onion growth, order onion plants, "don't use onion sets", order long day onions, like copra they have a storage life of 10 to 12 months, if ya got anymore questions fire away, your bro mike

Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:53 am   #7
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Thanks miker.

One thing I don't know about rotating crops is how many feet away from the previous years tomato crop do I need, to plant next years tomatoes in order to be safe from soil borne diseases or over use of nutrition needs. Would one 4' row spacing do it or would I need more?

Tomatoes will be my main crop and the one I want the most production from. That's why I've planned some other plants in with my tomatoes. To see, if they really will help the tomatoes as companions or not. Everything else I can live with some failures. But not my Mater's, Sage and Rosemary! LOL

I've been thinking, (dangerous for me) and I think I will keep my garlic in separate beds in a square foot type plot. Same for potatoes and Oregano. Oregano spreads so easily it can become invasive.

Also, I think I will have one garden plot east to west as shown in my above graph, and one same size plot running north to south with the same layout. I could then have time between switching plots to enrich the soil for two years between plots, and still have a 4 year rotation.

Comments or suggestions appreciated.
Jump in you gardeners. Time is close!

Frank

Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:21 am   #8
miker
Southern, Michigan USA

Frank, tomato plant roots are not very invasive, so if you moved your tomatoes to the very next plot to it, without overlapping it you will be alright, say if your tomato's grew in the first 10'x20' section "a" of your garden the first year if you moved them to the 10 foot to twenty next to it, which would be the 10'x20 area section "b", you would slow down the crop rotation need, as it would allow you more room for rotation thru the whole garden,mike

Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:18 am   #9
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Thanks Mike, I couldn't seem to find this from searching.

Frank

Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:58 am   #10
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Another question miker, seeing as you are my go to guy. Anyone who cans as much as you must be a go to guy. Right? LOL

If I split my garden in to 3 different plots, keeping one plot fallow each year, except for either continued tilling or covering for solarization benefit.

If I plant tomatoes in bed 1 and veggies in bed two, while then bed 3 remains fallow, and then move tomatoes to bed two, veggies to bed 3, and leave bed 1 fallow the next year, and so on. Would this work?

I know I sound ignorant. That is because I am.
Us ignorant have to ask questions to learn. LOL

Frank