Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Tulip Trees...
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:55 am   #1
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Tulip Trees...

I know people often look for the stands of tulip poplar but where i typically hunt there are not stands...

However I have located a few very large mature tulip trees mixed in with some eastern hemlock and a few others....

Do any of you hit morels off of lone tulip trees like this? I'm not sure if these are located in a morel producing forest as i just discovered them at the end of the year last year while hen hunting and have never morel hunted that area before

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:59 am   #2
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: Tulip Trees...

Hi Blake.

Yes, I've heard that morels like the Tulip Poplar trees. The few I ever see where I live is in peoples yards. Never seen one in the woods. I'm not up to speed on this tree, but hopefully someone else here may shed some more light on this for you.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:37 am   #3
ShLUbY
Southern, Michigan USA

Frank, yeah central MI doesn't really have a population of tulip trees, you guys are just North of the definitive (according to my MI tree guide) for the tulip poplar. Pretty much the lower 1/3 of the state is populated with them. My neck-o-the woods is just inside the definitive line for tulip trees, but we don't have many and the ones that I do find are very mature and typically only in the woods
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:33 am   #4
tom.c
Name: tom
Southern, Ohio usa

we do have a lot of tulip poplars down here. and yes i do find black and some small greys among them. i always hunt poplar groves myself as do a lot of others by the tracks they leave behind!our poplars tend to become giant trees if the timber dont get to them.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:19 am   #5
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

I have had lots of success around Tulip Trees, but usually they are in a mixture of trees. Most often for me, when Tulip trees are mixed in with black cherry or ash I have good success. I have found them around isolated tulip trees, but not as commonly.

Good luck!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:54 am   #6
ndfan1964
Name: Rusty
Southern, Michigan USA
Cass County

Here in far southwestern Michigan we have quite a lot of Tulip Poplars. The woods that I typically hunt will have very large Tulip trees interspersed with other hardwoods. I can usually find blacks around some of the large, mature trees.
My very best spot for blacks is in an area that is about 50/50 tulip and white pine actually. So yes, if you can find large Tulip trees, take some time to check them out, especially early in the season.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:16 pm   #7
ShLUbY
Southern, Michigan USA

@ndfan1964...man Tulip AND White pine?!? that would be a fun place to hunt for sure.

My area is Tulip and Hemlock (very small spotty areas of habitat though)... so i just may have some luck there though i'm not certain hemlock is often associated with morels, but the poplar/fir mix sounds like a place to look. Thankfully i have a m. elata spot that produces real early so i'll have a guage of when to get out and check those other areas...

anyone else who wants to chime in please feel free! Thanks to those who replied already!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:26 am   #8
Ohio Transplant
Name: Rex
Southern, Ontario CA

We have tulip poplar here, but to date, I've never found a morel near them.