Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion 2013 Morel Season So Far in SW MI
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:53 am   #1
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

2013 Morel Season So Far in SW MI

So far I have found 4 morels. I left them to grow, and 3 are now gone. Either picked or eaten by an aminal.
The fourth is still there, and has changed to the colors of a black morel, but is out in the open and probably won't grow much more.

I think we'll have morels big enough to pick for a few more days. For the past couple of years, blacks were pretty much done by early May. They are just getting started now, and will probably be around through the first half of May in S. MI
Recent earlier years make it feel like it is too late, but a lot of the signs that it is morel time are late this year.
Trillium is out in Berrien County, but the flower buds have not yet opened.
I usually find morels when the Trout Lillies are out done blooming, and they aren't blooming yet.
I also tend to find them when the Serviceberries are about done blooming; this year they have yet to bloom.
After morel season has started, the Pin Cherries bloom.(Last year, Serviceberries and Pin Cherries bloomed at the same time, because everything came out all at once.)
The buds on the Sugar Maples are starting to open. In the past, when picking morels, the Sugar Maple buds had already been open for a few days.
There is plenty of moisture in the soil, unlike last year. There are also warm temps and some rain in the forecast for early May, so that should help as well.
Based on the lack of greenery in the woods, it is still too early. Every report that I've read from MI is of tiny morels, like the ones I found.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:11 pm   #2
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: 2013 Morel Season So Far in SW MI

The Sugar Maple buds started opening today, and I saw Apricot Blossoms today. This looks like the week for good morels, especially with temps dipping around 50 at night and some rain possible.

Jeff O.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:49 am   #3
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

I'll be out wed all day if things go according to plan, and I wanna get out a bit thurs or Friday for a bit if possible.

Josh
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:03 am   #4
Redwood
Name: Terry
Central, Michigan USA
Ionia

It is running a little late this year for sure.
But I think it may be worth the wait.
Just a couple more days and it's Game on for sure
Old May 2, 2013, 12:59 am   #5
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Trillium are now blooming, as are Serviceberry trees. I used to find my black morels as the petals were falling off the serviceberry trees(last year was an exception.)
I think the reason I am only finding small morels this year is that I am being to hasty in going out. But then again, I don't want to be too late. Last year, the blacks were pretty much done in SW MI on 5/1. Other years I have found fresh blacks as late as 5/15. (This will probably be the case this year.)
I didn't find many blacks last year, which is a shame, because I think they have the best flavor.

BTW, the Wood Ticks are out; I picked for of them off of me in the woods, and just found one on me a little bit ago.

Jeff O.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:57 pm   #6
Hgthbrg
Name: Heather
Southern, Michigan USA
Berrien

I have been out a few times and still haven't got any morels. I've found tons of ramps, a snake, 3 tiny skulls and a boatload of ticks. I'm hoping when I go out tomorrow I find some.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:31 pm   #7
Arcticcat7c
Name: Melissa
Central, Michigan USA
Saginaw

Talking Re: 2013 Morel Season So Far in SW MI

Has anyone been out near or in Saginaw County? Any finds? Anyone seen any beefsteaks while out? I went out on wends. Nothing 1st year searching here I grew up hunting in Roscommon County. Thanks in advance for any info.Happy Hunting all!
Old May 4, 2013, 3:45 pm   #8
Arcticcat7c
Name: Melissa
Central, Michigan USA
Saginaw

Talking Re: 2013 Morel Season So Far in SW MI

Has anyone been out near or in Saginaw County? Any finds? Anyone seen any beefsteaks while out? I went out on wends. Nothing 1st year searching here I grew up hunting in Roscommon County. Thanks in advance for any info.Happy Hunting all!
Old May 13, 2013, 11:18 am   #9
markmorel
Name: Mark
Southern, Michigan USA
Buchanan

I found about two pounds this weekend in southern Berrien Co.