Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Leaving small morels to grow
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 3, 2013, 2:37 am   #1
Otter1949
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA

Leaving small morels to grow

Has anyone actually found that leaving small morels "to grow" actually works? In my experience, any change in size has been extremely marginal. They seem to utilize whatever nutrients, moisture, etc. are available in the first push, and don't increase in size much after that. Or is this just a quirk of the habitats I hunt?
Old May 3, 2013, 3:10 am   #2
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Re: Leaving small morels to grow

I have been watching some black morels grow since the 15th of April, and they haven't changed much in size. In fact, four turned to one, so either someone picked them or a deer or something ate them.

Also, last year, I found some small tan mushrooms, and left them behind to grow. When I came back, they were dried up and small.

I think it depends on the conditions. This year there is plenty of moisture, but it was cold, then hot. Now it is cooling off, and temps should be more normal for this time of the year, at least in Southern MI.
I think this weekend should be a good weekend, but I have been saying that for the last two weeks. I recall years where, in Southern MI, the season didn't start until the second week of May, so the small ones that I have found, as well as what other people have found, probably need to grow some more.
We are mentally basing this season on last, which was very early. I probably share the same idea that it should be out finding them because last year at this time it was late in the season at this time, so I go out and all I find are tiny morels. I am probably going out too early.
I left one behind yesterday, covering it with leaves, as the ones in the open didn't seem to grow.

Jeff O.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:54 am   #3
chigger
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sharon
Southern, Michigan usa
Centreville

A lot depends on conditions. Just like most plants, a hot dry spell will kill, or at least stunt the growth.
I once had a yellow in my front yard that did nothing for 2 weeks. Then I was gone for a couple of days and it grew about 3 inches.
Think about this. If they don't grow why do we always find the larger ones later in the season instead of at the beginning?
Old May 6, 2013, 6:06 pm   #4
Michshroom
Name: Shawn
Central, Michigan USA
West Michigan

Interesting discussion...I have never known morels to grow much after the first 24 hours they appear. I've left tiny blacks and whites to grow, but they never seem to. I've actually had a big morels "appear" next to little ones that I was watching. It seems they "pop up" the size they will be. Just my opinion...
Old May 6, 2013, 7:53 pm   #5
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

they do grow, go on youtube and watch the videos of morel growth studies that people have done. I think it really depends on the conditions but morels can survive for 2 weeks and even 3 in some of those growth studies. they might not do anything for days, and then 7-10 days later boom they hit a spurt because the weather is right or in some cases they just sit there and rot! haha. I will agree that if the conditions for them are right they get real big quick.

and morels that just "appear" are just ones you didn't see at first haha, there's no way you could convince me that you just saw some come up lol. but if a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound? :D
Old May 6, 2013, 8:11 pm   #6
bigfish90
Name: John
Northern, Michigan USA
harrisville

I covered some very small morels last Thursday with some leaves. I was back in the same area today and they had grown to 2" plus, so I picked them.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:32 pm   #7
Jess
Name: Jessica
Northern, Michigan USA

We leave some every year, and they don't
seem to change. We have even taken picts, my
husband is also of the opinion after the first
24 hours they don't really grow...
Old May 7, 2013, 12:01 pm   #8
Pat
Name: pat
Northern, Michigan usa
Traverse City

Mysterious, aren't they?
Old May 8, 2013, 4:59 pm   #9
Michshroom
Name: Shawn
Central, Michigan USA
West Michigan

@ ShLUbY...C'mon man, I meant "watching" as in checking them every day. More than once I left a little shroom to grow, and the next day there's a bigger one within a foot of it, but the little one I left didn't grow a lick. Bustin' my chops... :-)
Old May 8, 2013, 8:08 pm   #10
windseye
Name: Mark
Southern, Michigan USA
Williamston, MI

I left some yellows yesterday to test the theory. No visible growth after 24 hours under warm conditions with plenty of moisture in the soil. I now believe that what you see is what you get.