Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Cook, garden & preserve > RECIPES KIMCHI and fermented veggies
RECIPES Welcome to our kitchen!

Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:42 am   #11
Frank
Host
Name: Frank
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Re: KIMCHI and fermented veggies

Update on wild leek bulbs in kimchi.

At first they seemed too tough and chewy, but after 14 days in fridge they now seem quite crisp. I will use them again next year.

I've ate more of it now in the past couple weeks, and it just keeps getting better.
About time for me to start another batch.

I think I will be using much less salt, and go with the Quick Kimchi style, where you cut into pieces, and go from there. No need for me to worry about long term (months) storage. I'm making small batches and will eat it long before it gets old. LOL

I also think I will add some diced or sliced hot peppers to the mix. I used a lot of the Korean pepper but turned out only mildly hot.

Also in Step 2. is where you add the tiny baby salted shrimp, also called shrimp sauce, or anchovies to the basic sauce. I forgot to add that to the recipe. I have corrected that now in above recipe.
I also believe this ingredient will increase the "smell" of final product. But it also increases the flavor. It's up to you.
I am getting used to it not smelling too strong, and it's still good.
But not like I remembered from Korea. Blow top of your head off with heat and STINKY!. Good stuff it was.

Frank

Some of the best people are found right here. - You!

Who owned the Michigan Morel Plates before I did? Click Here
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:22 am   #12
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Well, for various reasons, I haven't started my next batch yet.
Now I am down to about 1/2 cup and another batch isn't is the wings.

Live and learn.

I've learned that it gets better and better so far after 3 weeks. Wish I had made more. I will certainly make much bigger batch this next time to enjoy longer. Probably a gallon. That way, I can let some age longer as I eat the fresh.

I will make notes when making new batch and try to let you know what I've changed and how it turns out. This is both fun AND healthy!

miker.... here is a link to fermenting mustard. I thought you may want to try it out,
seeing as your hot mustard with vinegar processing is so good.

Frank

Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:01 am   #13
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

gimmeegrays (Jane)
You can get same probiotics from sauerkraut too. As long as you eat frermented food in moderate amounts 2 to 6 oz. each day it will work to improve intestinal health, as well as overall health.

To get real sauerkraut--fermented cabbage--look for sauerkraut made from cabbage, water, and salt only -- with no vinegar, on the label.
I usually find this in the bagged kraut, rather than canned or jar.
You don't want the vinegar in it.

Sometimes the bags will be puffy. That's a good thing. Usually means it's still working.

Frank

Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:54 am   #14
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

Well, I started my 2nd batch 2 + days ago.
This batch provided me with 3 quart jars with 2 inch head space, plus a pint. So... 3 full quarts, plus 3/4 pint of juice.

Here is my revised recipe.

Ratios:
6 lb. Cabbage (I used 4 1/2 lb Napa & 1 1/2 lb Boc Choy)
5 tablespoons Sea Salt
2 cup, or more, of The Basic Sauce

STEP 1
Split cabbage lengthwise into half, or quarters for large cabbage. Cut crosswise into 1 inch wide pieces. Wash cabbage a couple of times to remove any dirt. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Sprinkle salt as you add cabbage to bowl, tossing to mix to evenly coat cabbage with salt. Covered the bowl with towel and let it stand at room temperature for 3 hours. Every 30-45 minutes gave cabbage a mix, lifting from bottom to top, to evenly brine the cabbage.

STEP 2
The Basic Sauce:

1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and rough chopped
1/2 Apple, peeled & chopped
2 inch Ginger, peeled & diced
3 heads Garlic
1/2 cup. Ramps, rough chopped
4 Tbsp. (1/4 c.) Salted Shrimp Sauce, or anchovy
(they call it shrimp sauce, but really just baby shrimp salted in jar in refrigerated section)
3/4 cups fish sauce
1/2 cup. Water (Non Chlorine) I used straight well water

In food processor pulse to paste.
Freeze any leftover sauce for future use.

Step 3
Add to basic sauce prior to mixing with cabbage.

2 cups Coarse, or med coarse, Korean Red Pepper powder
2 tsp Raw Sugar
1/3 cup Water (Non Chlorine)
1 Jalapeno Pepper, diced ( should've been 2 or 3)
5-7 stalks, Green onions chopped in 1 1/4 lengths, about 1 cup
1/4 cup Julienned Carrots. I didn't have any Carrots and just left this out
1/4 cup Julienned Radish. (Again, didn't have any, and left out)
Mixed well to combine the ingredients. (tasted and for seasoning)
Let it stand and meld some, while waiting on cabbage to wilt.

Step 4
Rinsed the cabbage in clean full sink of water. Repeat rinsing 3-4 times using fresh water each time. Then squeeze by hand, to help drain as much of the liquid as possible and drain in a colander. Transfer to a large bowl. Put plastic gloves on, if sensitive skin. Add cup or so of sauce and combine everything very well, rubbing it in to veggies. Transfer the cabbage to container and pack pieces very tightly so all is submerged under the juice.

This time I elected to ferment it all in one container, which happened to be a 2 or 3 gal food grade bucket with lid. I filled up a gal Ziplock 1/2 full with brine, (in cased it leaked). Pressed veggies down firmly and placed a shallow bowl over them and pressed that down until juice rose and no more bubbles could be pressed out. Placed the zip bag on top, and lidded the bucket. Covered with dark towel to keep light out. Left it alone for 2 days (actually about 44 hours). Tasted it. Needed a tad bit more salt. so added 1/2 Tbsp. sprinkled over and stirred is in.

Removed to wide mouth jars with just enough juice to cover, and packed it tightly. Loosely sealed jars and placed into fridge. Leftover juice, I put in another jar. I'll use it to either cook with, drink, or add to next batch to kick start the ferment.

I just tasted it after it got cold, and it is AWSOME! Much better than my 1st batch! Woo Hoo!
I can't wait until it's aged 2 or 3 weeks. I'm excited about this batch!

I didn't make a lot of changes, as it is a process, to get the flavors you want. I wussed out on the shrimp and Jalapeno tho'. I should have used at least twice as much shrimp, and maybe 4 or 5 jalapeno peppers, or added Sorrento, or Habanero peppers to the mix.

Stay tuned... This is FUN!

And healthy and tasty!

I will keep you updated as I go.

The weird thing is how kimchi taste evolves. It taste good after a short fermentation for about a week, than not so great for a fews days or so, and then it starts to get really tatsting great after that, and keeps getting better with time.

I read on a site "no crazy kimchi here" , she states that her mother always called "the in between stage", "crazy kimchi" . LOL It gets better after the crazy stage. I agree with her mother.

Even when I get that kimchi from that restaurant I found, and let it age, it goes though those same stages. I even mentioned it to deb, before I ever saw that site.

Frank

Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:03 am   #15
Frank
Host
Central, Michigan USA
Midland Co.

This last batch of kimchi is AWESOME! But I think I need to use less of the Korean pepper flakes, and add more hot peppers diced or sliced. to the mix. Also not so much fish sauce. Made it taste a bit oily.

However I am close to making kimchi as I remember it.

But... Deb informed me VERY STRONGLY a few days ago that "I" had a problem with my Kimchi. It made me smell! LOL.

"I" don't have a problem with my kimchi! She, and mabe other people do. But not me. LOL

However,
seeing as I want to still be married to her when I die (hopefully not from kimchi smell) I promised I would tone it back some. Less fish sauce, less shrimp sauce, less garlic, and less ramps.
I think the ramps and garlic is what she reacted too. I loaded up this last batch with them.

I can live with less tasty kimchi and still get the benefits from it. But I sure am going to miss the strong stuff tho'!
Maybe if I only make it strong once or twice a year, she'll work with me on the forgiving part. "For better or worse" , remember?

That kimchi I got from the restaurant was mild, but still had basic kimchi flavors, so I guess I'll live. LOL

When I decided to make my own was just for fun, and to try to get that heat and taste I remember. But after eating it for 4+ months I now want fermented foods for health. It has done wonders for me!
If I tone down my flavor of kimchi, I can still get the health benefits from it.

So it's all good.

Frank

Tags
fermenting, ramps, wild leeks