Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion chanterelles
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:35 pm   #1
sanilacshroomer
Enhanced Membership
Name: paul
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

chanterelles

Does anyone find chanterelles in the thumb area? I haven't had any luck finding them
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:37 am   #2
tharwood
Enhanced Membership
Name: Tom
Central, Michigan USA
Fowlerville

Re: chanterelles

For me the secret to finding Chanterelles was merely switching gears and hunting in different places than where I find my spring mushrooms. Try places a bit different than where you morel hunt. Look for oak and beech forests. I wanted to extend my mushroom season beyond the morel this year and decided to hunt for Chanterelles for the first time. After morel season, in preparation during the month of June, I read as much as I could about the chanterelle in my field guides. Being mycorrhizal fungi, partnering with oak and beech commonly, I set out for a hardwood forest near where I live on July 1st. I am not joking, but within five minutes after entering the woods I was standing above a small group spread below a large oak. Now I target mixed hardwood forest and I have been finding them every time I go out. I havenít found a huge group yet and many of them are small but from what I read I should be able to back to these spots all summer and harvest. It is worth the time! I personally think that they taste better than morels and have found them to be more bug resistant than other types of mushrooms I have hunted.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:57 am   #3
sanilacshroomer
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

thanks for the info. Tom
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:30 pm   #4
tharwood
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
Fowlerville

I hope it is helpful. There is a ton of state land near m-46 and m-24. There is even a road named mushroom road there. I have always wanted to mushroom hunt there. It truly is beautiful, hundreds of wooded acres.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:59 am   #5
sanilacshroomer
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan usa
sanilac co.

Ha. I know those locations quite well. Having area to hunt is not the problem, its locating the proper habitat & you have helped. I think i found one last night. Doing a spore print to confirm. Do cinnabar chantrelles grow in the same areas. I have found some cinnabars before & maybe should go back to that location. Thanks again
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:04 pm   #6
tharwood
Enhanced Membership
Central, Michigan USA
Fowlerville

I have not found any cinnabars yet. I have found many hygrocybes that look similar so do your homework.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:50 pm   #7
deadstream guy
Name: Jan
Northern, Michigan USA
houghton lake

Is it too late to expect to find some chanterelles? I've gone out 3-4 times this week , and I have yet to see any. I am, however, finding various boletes, and have also found a few Old Man Of The Woods, and a couple S. Shelfs.