Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Good season in 2014?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:32 pm   #1
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Good season in 2014?

Woodtv8 meteorologist Bill Steffen has written in his blog that this past summer was similar to 2002. If this trend continues, this winter could be similar to 2002-2003, which lead to a very good morel season in 2003.

Here is a link to the blog
http://blogs.woodtv.com/2013/09/02/w...er-of-2002-03/

Though I am not a fan of winter weather (especially when it occurs in May when I am headed to the Michiganmorels spring dinner ) I do like the morel seasons that tend to follow harsh winters.

I know it's too early to tell what this winter or the 2014 morel season will be like.

Jeff O.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:40 am   #2
Bachflock
Name: Vance
Central, Michigan USA
Roscommon

Re: Good season in 2014?

I hope it's a good one. Since going back to school I've barely had a spare hour to hit the woods. It would be nice to find a few on a tight time budget. Who am I kidding, Frank and I could walk through a field of morels and find only one or two. Sorry, Frank!

vjs
The best lessons are those learned before you wish you had known better, especially when thinking edible mushrooms.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:54 am   #3
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

We had our first snowfall yesterday in SW MI, though none accumulated in my part of Berrien County.
Last year we had to wait until December to see snow.
Perhaps we will have snowcover most of the winter which will help preserve moisture.
We've had plenty of moisture during the last couple of weeks.

Unfortunately it is six months until morel season!

Jeff O.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:36 am   #4
chigger
Enhanced Membership
Name: Sharon
Southern, Michigan usa
Centreville

But on the bright side, it's no longer 7 months till morel season!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:27 pm   #5
Guido
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

While I think that it is always better for morels to have a long wet winter with good snowcover, it is my opinion that the weather in March & April has the most influence over what we will find in May.

Just a few...

Guido
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:50 pm   #6
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

We have been having rain every day since Wednesday.

This November has started out different than last year, as we had a sunny November.
The sun peeked out for a few minutes today, but was replaced by rain again. Welcome to Lake Effect Country I guess!

I have also read that dry ground heats up faster than wet ground, and that is what fueled 2012's record highs.

If the ground stays wet, it should keep temps down, and I think that will help out the 2014 season. If it is cool and damp like May 2003 in May 2014, it should be a good season.

I do agree that March and April do influence the season....it was dry in March/April of 2012 and the season was overall a poor one.

Jeff O.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:22 pm   #7
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Getting winter weather early this year compared to last year.
My area is under a Winter Storm Watch tomorrow into Tuesday evening.
Info on this can be found here:
http://www.wsbt.com/

This November is definitely different than last year, as we have had very little sun (we had some today and yesterday) and lots of rain. Snow forecast then a warmup with more rain forecast.

Gloomy weather and snowy winters tend to lead to a rewarding morel season. Hopefully 2014 will be a rewarding season.

Also temps are forecast to be in the upper teens/lower 20's I don't think we really had a hard freeze until mid-December in SW MI last year.

Jeff O.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:39 am   #8
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Most of the area received a couple inches of snow on Monday, but an area from St. Joseph and southward received 12-17 inches of snow. The typical lake effect areas in Van Buren County didn't get much. This even was in Berrien County. There is more snow forecast for Thanksgiving. This season is starting out totally different...winter seems to have come early. Indian Summer occurs this weekend, with temps pushing 60 on Sunday in Southern Michigan.

Jeff O.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:31 am   #9
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

November was more or less cold and wet, with the exception of the middle of the month when there was a warmup which ended with some really nasty storms. (I was without power from 3pm, 11/17 to around 12:15pm, 11/19.)
There were two big Lake Effect Snow events, one which buried St. Joseph and areas south with 17 inches of snow, and one last week which dumped about 16 inches of snow from Benton Harbor and areas east into Van Buren Co, while leaving the areas that got hit earlier virtually snow-free.

Now there is no snow on the ground, and cold temps, allowing the ground to freeze. Hopefully we'll get a little snow cover to keep the ground from drying out, and keep the snow cover most of the winter.

Forecasters are still predicting near normal temps and slightly above normal precipitation.

Jeff O.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:07 pm   #10
Jochs
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I have an interest in trains, and yesterday I followed and photographed the Marquette Rail Santa train as it went between Comstock Park and Ludington.
Here is a photo of it near Brohman.
http://michiganmorels.com/funtalk/sh...305#post120305
A lot of the route takes it through Manistee National Forest, which was snow covered. (Last year at this time it was raining and the snow was melting, two years ago there was no snow.)
Hopefully this year's snow-cover will be preserved until spring, and coupled with potential spring rain, should make for a promising morel season.
In 2011, when my brother and I followed and photographed the train, there was no snow on the ground, and the 2012 morel season was very poor. But now the ground has moisture to work with, as it was a very wet November, and the snow should help hold in moisture. When there is no snow on the ground, and no precip. falls, the ground dries out.

Jeff O.