Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Where do YOU find morels
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 13, 2014, 1:23 pm   #1
scherbs
Name: Ed
Southern, Michigan U.S.A.

Where do YOU find morels

I am not looking for cities of locations but more along the lines of geography or habitat that works to produce morels. I have been a long time hunter and have a few honey holes but as a rule never find any real productive hot spots that produce an abundance. My only rule of thumb is they are where you find them.......
What works for others?
Old May 13, 2014, 2:13 pm   #2
measuredude58
Name: Lowell
Southern, Ohio USA
Versailles

Re: Where do YOU find morels

In the 1970s, we found them by the thousands around dead elm trees. We have always hunted the yellows and grays. Now, I look mostly around mature ash trees. On hills is usually my best areas.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:02 pm   #3
redbull6
Name: Jen
Northern, Michigan USA
Gaylord

also old apple orchards are good...usually deep in the woods is where I find the most....but make sure you spray down with tick repellant...they are awful this year
Old May 13, 2014, 6:34 pm   #4
jpmilo
Name: john
Southern, Michigan USA
kalamazoo

In SW michigan I have been working the Low areas. You find Elm and Ash and Red Maple trees here. This is where I have been finding Greys and Yellows the past ten days. Lots of foot work in tick filled areas. For a half mile of what looked prime I found only two small areas holding lots of large whites and greys. I went back today and found only yellows (fewer in number) but also found tiny yellows beginning to grow. the ground here had leaf litter and most mushrooms were around the base of the red maples, which I think like their feet a little drier than the elm and ash.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:52 pm   #5
scherbs

I have the good fortune of having a hunting spot in washtenaw county that has a 40 acre woodlot in the back. The adjoining woodlots are mixed hardwoods but predominately oak. The parcel I hunt is a mix of different trees but mostly ash. The emerald ash borers have been killing the trees as fast as they can sprout up but there is still a good number of those trees standing or dead and laying around everywhere. I searched for morels there last saturday and found 25 in a spot that you could almost spit across and there were no others to be found anywhere on the remaining property (at least that I could see). I didnt see any sign of an ash tree in the vicinty of the morels so cant really say that it was spawn of an ash tree. What makes that one spot produce and nowhere else?
Old May 13, 2014, 9:57 pm   #6
scherbs

Oh, by the way I did get 2 hitchhikers that I had to pick off of me after the outing. I didnt see any ticks on my dog but I will be checking her again tonight!!
Old May 15, 2014, 12:31 am   #7
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

I find them by being a tree hopper. I bounce from host tree to host tree looking for the morels... while this may not be to way to find every morel in the woods, it is a good way to get some morels, and you can cover a lot of ground fast. IMO it's the most efficient way of hunting because you're maximizing your chance of finding them by sticking to the known host trees! Yes they grow where they grow, but far more often than not i can find a reason why they are in the spot that i find them! I target BTA (poplar, big tooth aspen), Dying/dead elm, dead/dying apple, northern white pine, white ash, black cherry (in very selected areas, not all the time), Tulip poplar, and spruce as well! there are many other hosts, but these i have targeted in MI. Soil is important... black sandy loam!