Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Northern Border for Hen of the Woods?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:30 pm   #11
Guido
Name: Dave
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Northern Border for Hen of the Woods?

I'm not sure how far North hens grow, but I'm also not sure that is why you haven't found them. I think it may be more a function of the tree species they grow near. I always find them near very large old oak trees here in Southeast MI. This tends to be the dominant mature tree in much of the woods around here, so it is pretty easy to find them. I rarely encounter large old oak trees in the woods of Northern MI, at least on the public land that is popular for mushroom hunting, so that may be a bigger part of the reason that you don't find as many hens up North.

Guido

Just a few...

Guido

Tags
hen of the woods, maitake