Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Mushroom Seller Certification Classes
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:08 pm   #1
CaptainJack
Name: Andrew
Northern, Michigan USA
Petoskey

Mushroom Seller Certification Classes

It's long been speculated that morels would eventually be regulated, but until recently licenses and certification have been limited to April Fool's pranks. But the almighty state has finally seen fit to regulate morels. They were smart enough to not put a license in place for picking mushrooms (what a regulation nightmare that would have been!), but to establish one to sell mushrooms. This makes sure that grandma out picking 'shrooms for dinner isn't affected, but the guys raking the Boyne forest floor to sell morels in Detroit are. Anyway, ranting aside, I sell mushrooms to local restaurants, so it was a big deal when they started asking to see my mushroom license last year . . . Apparently the northern Michigan health department sent a letter to all the local restaurants reminding them of the regulations. Restaurants had to refuse unlicensed sellers. The regulations were laid out here

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610...9336--,00.html

(number 11 on the list), but nowhere on the DNR, MDA or NMHD websites was a way to get certified. I got in touch with Jim Padden with the Department of Agriculture, and he told me that a certification class was in the works. He sent me this yesterday.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610...0844--,00.html

It's an announcement for a new program to license mushroomers. Here's a link to the MAMI website

http://www.midwestmycology.org/Workshops/Workshops.html

The cost seems steep, but I'm hoping for some premier mycologists for lecturers. Look for me at the TC class; I'll be the hippy kid with the surfer dude hair.

CJ
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:09 pm   #2
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

Re: Mushroom Seller Certification Classes

Great info Jack!
This is going to be a yearly event, right? I don't think I could pass this year's test and I have a commitment on the 18th so I want to do this next year.

I don't sell my mushrooms yet, I mostly give them away but it would be nice to be certified. Plus the event sounds awesome!

I've met Chris Wright a few times and really have a lot of respect for him. In fact I owe him an umbrella polypore. I wasn't exactly sure how to get a hold of him but thanks to you now I do!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:21 pm   #3
CaptainJack
Name: Andrew
Northern, Michigan USA
Petoskey

From what he said, I get the impression it will be yearly. Also, I couldn't find how long the license was good for, so I emailed him. He said it lasts for five years; it's better than Iowa's three year license, anyway . . .

CJ
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:55 am   #4
MrJosePetes
Name: Josh
Central, Michigan USA
Genesee County

thanks for the good info! i wont have extra money for that this year, but it might be something i'd like to do in the future.

wonder if theyll expand it to have some classes in summer/fall.

Josh
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:37 am   #5
celticcurl
Enhanced Membership
Name: Doreen
Southern, Michigan USA
Jackson and Lansing

I got a call from Chris Wright yesterday after I emailed him about the class. He said there may be another class in 6 months. I'll wait for that one.

He was pretty interested in that golden oyster I found in the wild on state land so I hope it fruits again!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:26 pm   #6
big amish
Enhanced Membership
Name: jeff
Northern, Indiana usa
south bend

Anybody know if this would apply to mushrooms picked in Michigan but sold in another state?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:36 pm   #7
morchella
Name: Rima
Central, Michigan USA
Grand Rapids

I signed up for the Lansing class April 18th. Excited to go.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads. Henry David Thoreau
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:16 pm   #8
PoorOldRon
Name: Ron
Northern, Michigan USA
Atlanta

Beware the Trojan Horse. This BS has been going around for years. Leave us morel hunters alone. If true, another BS bureaucratic attempt to save us from ourselves. Sure, learning more about fungus is ok but we've got along for generations without the government being involved and hopefully for generations to come. Sorry, I'm not usually a negative guy but like I said, leave us morel hunters alone.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:04 am   #9
srashley
Name: Scott
Northern, Ohio USA
Delta

I read something about this on another sight. They were discussing the details of this and what it entails as well. Based on that I read the regulations myself. It appears to me that these regulations are for those who vend to farmers' markets. It appears that if the person who sells the mushrooms for consumption is the person who finds the mushrooms that the required qualifications don"t apply. Therefore the local roadside signs of people selling mushrooms from their homes aren't under the requirements. So, if you pick and sell to individuals, you should be OK.

It is important to me to be above board on all this. I have been selling to individuals for 20 years. Before I ever started I checked on regs. At the time, in Indiana where I was, the food inspector said that it was a wild food and wasn't regulated. That didn't make much sense, but I was glad. If one is required to get certified, that will finish it for me. I can't afford. It. I only did it to pay for "my habit" (morel habit, of course!) But as I read it, it shouldn't affect person to person transactions.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm   #10
mister_zee
Enhanced Membership
Name: Robert
Northern, Indiana USA

Indiana now has certification requirements.