Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Open Discussion Oysters?
Open Discussion Keep it friendly and pleasant.

Old May 2, 2015, 12:13 pm   #1
chuckin
Name: chuck
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

Oysters?

For those of you who hunt oysters...Im looking to really increase my harvest this year, these are a family favorite. Looking for any advice to help me do that. I always get some, but often by chance. Any advice from best time of year for numbers, timing to find them bug free, favorite tree species, anything you can think of to put more oysters in my basket. Thanks in advance
Old May 3, 2015, 5:14 pm   #2
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

Re: Oysters?

timing is all over. when blond morels start you can find aspen oysters (populinus var. or something) on dead big tooth aspen trees. just as morel season is comes to an end I find lots of oysters (ostreatus) on dead Black Cherry. somewhere around the beginning of june for SE MI... it may be slightly sooner for central MI. In the summer and fall I get them on recently dead Maple, and seems like i always find some oysters in the beginning of July while chanterelle hunting which are usually on maple as well. my favorite oyster i find in late november/early december on maple, they are ostreatus var. that i find in cold weather... they are the best, let me tell you. i think they produce if you get a thaw for several days in january too.

Basically heres the main thing... oyster hyphae develop and feed on dead wood very quickly after it dies. So the following season you better be on that log for the maximum yield of shrooms. each year they yield less and less until that dead limb/tree no longer produces mushrooms. look for dead wood that still has the bark on it as that will be most recently dead. aspen/cherry/maple are great producers for me.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:57 am   #3
DanSS
Name: Dan
Southern, Michigan USA
Milford / Skidway Lk

Thanks ShLUbY, I want to look for Oysters this year too.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:21 pm   #4
ShLUbY
Name: Blake
Southern, Michigan USA

oysters are a favorite of mine... but i like several species of mushroom just as well as morels... like hen of the woods.

I forgot to mention about bugs. Oysters are a lot like golden chanterelles. you need to slice off the mushroom by the stalk, and check it for pinholes, if there are some pinholes larvae have already started consuming the mushrooms! Larvae get deposited in oysters and chanterelles pretty quickly so they should be checked before you toss them in your bag because they'll spread to other shrooms if you leave them in your fridge for a couple days. But if a few larvae don't bother you.... extra protein =] So basically you need to beat the bugs to the shrooms quickly, and get all you can while you can because i would say I toss about 25-50% of oysters i find just about every time. rarely do i get a patch that has not been found by some bugs. oysters don't rehydrate well so i would recommend just using them up fresh because they can be found so often throughout the season there's no point in storing any. I would bet aspen oysters are getting pretty close to fruiting with this warmer weather starting. I'll take a peak at some spots in the next couple days and i'll report if i see anything.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:46 pm   #5
chuckin
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

Sounds like the fall oysters not only taste better but perhaps tend to be less buggy due to cooler temps? I know the ones Ive found while chant hunting were completely bug free. Which is odd because it was warmer and the chants were super buggy. My best bet is aspen oysters but theyre almost always buggy. I still have difficulty eating shrooms full of larvae! I wish I could get past that, Id be keeping alot more shrooms! So is there an increased fruiting do to air temps, or humidity or how does that work? Ill track ground temps for morels, but how do I track tree trunk temps? Lol!
Old May 23, 2015, 12:32 pm   #6
chuckin
Central, Michigan USA
sanilac

Would anyone else like to chime in about oysters? So Ive heard that they can appear and grow very quickly. But how quickly? Is rain a big factor? Or do they basically tap into the moisture from within the tree/log itself. For instance, would tomorrow be a good day, or do I want to wait for a good rain? And if so, how soon following the rain? It seems to be a very fine line between not seeing any and seeing plenty but full of bugs and or past prime.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:49 pm   #7
jpmilo
Name: john
Southern, Michigan USA
kalamazoo

Oysters - the more moisture the better. they fruit longer and can grow larger during a rainy period. But best in spring and in the fall.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:57 pm   #8
thewilliams'
Name: Chris
Northern, Michigan USA
Alpena

We usually see very large crop of aspen oysters here in NE lower Michigan starting about now and running until the solstice or so. I agree with everything said about, particularly on being rain dependent and getting them early. They are bug magnets, literally almost; particular insects will follow their spore trail back to the source from great distances.

This is just my personal preference, but I find 'Aspen Oysters'(P. populinus) to be the best tasting mushroom of the entire genus. I used to grow oysters for a living, so I've tried them all and besides maybe P. eyrngii(which is kinda different from all other oysters anyway), P. populinus has a subtle, unique flavor that makes it stand out among it's (let's face it) bland cousins.

Around here old clear cuts are a decent place to find them. Generally, if they don't replant, acres and acres of land will grow up thick with aspens. Eventually the majority will start dying to leave way for a lesser number of larger trees, leaving many ideal hosts for oysters.