Forum index  
Go Back   Michigan Morels index > Share your Photo's here > Morel & false morel photo's Berrien and Van Buren Co. finds.
Morel & false morel photo's Morels or False Morels photo's only.

Old May 6, 2015, 10:16 pm   #1
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

Berrien and Van Buren Co. finds.

I seem to only be able to find a handful of mushrooms each time I go out...and unfortunately I have small hands.
I found one gray in Van Buren Co., and 4 blacks and 2 half-frees in Berrien. I actually found 3 half-frees, but one had a large slimy slug stuck to it. I tried to pull it off but it was pretty well attached, so I let the slug keep it. This photo is on a new camera card I started..the photo of the slug is on my old card, along with a bunch of pics I will upload once I clear out some space on my hard drive.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015.05.06morels.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	9995  

Jeff O.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:54 pm   #2
JonDaHighlander
Name: jon
Southern, Michigan USA
Fenton

Re: Berrien and Van Buren Co. finds.

How much time do you spend and acres walked? Watching you for years and maybe time to get a little aggressive. I look for perfec spots and so hunt faster than most. Of course I leave some but I'm into numbers and link what produces them. I don't over graze an area. If I find a few I log it and look for spots that produce more then correlate the differences and timing and cover more ground. I do hunt very fast and only slow down when things are perfect. When that spot is done I go back to the areas that produc few and spread out and figure out why. Some stop for the beauty of it, but I suck it all in for the boxer picture and when the bag is full I cover possible spots and try to figure why and when they are or will be there. It works a lot but not all he time of course. Try something new if your goal is figuring out a forest. Imo it just a suggestion for expanding your chance.
Old May 7, 2015, 2:23 am   #3
Jochs
Name: Jeff
Southern, Michigan USA
Benton Harbor

I spent about an hour in Van Buren County at my first spot. The one gray morel surprised me...in the past, I've found anywhere from a couple of those to about 100 in a small area. They seem to have disappeared since the mature ash trees all died.
I scouted a dead elm but only found poison ivy near a cemetery.
In Berrien County, I probably spent about 2 hours. The heat and humidity didn't help either, as I am not used to it yet. It also brought out lots of bugs. There were little black flies everywhere, one bit my ear and it must have had some anti-clot chemical in it's saliva, as the bite bled for quite some time, and attracted more flies. Mosquitoes weren't too bad.
Here is a picture of the slug or leech or whatever was on the half-free that I left behind.
Attached Thumbnails - Click for larger view
Click image for larger version

Name:	slugmorel.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	9996  

Jeff O.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:02 am   #4
Kip
Name: Kip
Southern, Michigan USA